Engine advice

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am running stock Zeniths which work great but am facinated with the triple setup. Sorry to hijack the thread.

hi steve,
although surely no substitute for trips, if you replace the stock air filter/box with the k&n cold-air intake, the sound from our fi cars under hard acceleration is DRAMATICALLY improved. here is the thread with detail.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9673

best,
alanmcg

windnsea

Reaction score
Triple Webers are indeed very nice, and it takes only about 5 minutes to keep them in tune once sorted out - idle screws screwed down and backed of to the 'tuned' setting, throttle rods checked for torque warpage every 6 months and the three carbs synced.

The Alpina air filter setup is indeed a 'muffler' when compared to individual filters, and in fact also is a restriction as that setup was designed for 3.0 litre engines at the most.

A well tuned 3.5 litre engine with fuel injection should be capable of reving just as quickly as one with webers, and the throttle body and air flow meters are capable of taking a 3.5 litre engine past redline, so you're really talking apples and oranges - some like one or the other or both.

It may be time to look elsewhere for a little bit more power - headders or a cam. Glad you've got the money to contemplate it though.

That's my 5 cents worth after owning 2 Alpina's.

windnsea

jamesw

Reaction score
Jerry: one word - wow. It's cool for the historic value but at 7K Euros?

You could probably get a nice individual throttle body setup like the megasquirts guys use for about 1/3 of that.

Cheers
James

61porsche

Reaction score
My best

impression of Yoda:

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

e3Max

Reaction score
Search is over!

After many days of phone calls, emails, discussions and looking at used engines. I have decide not to go used and do it right. I spent some time on the phone with Jim Rowe over the past two days and today I placed the order for a Metric Mechanic 3700! Jim has been a pleasure to work with!

I'll be staying on the dark-side with the triple webers setup :lol: