engine and 5 speed upgrade

FlyWulf

Reaction score
I have just bought a 72 CS to restore and want to change the engine to a injected 3.5L with a 5 speed manual. What year model engines can be used for this project? Is it a better choice to use the older engines with the standard distributor with electronic ignition or the later models with the motronic systems? I plan on buying a doner car for the drivetrain.

thank you all for sharing your knowledge

Eddie E.

Jonathan

Reaction score
Carl Nelson is the authority on this. I talked to him yesterday and he was had six Coupes in for the same updgrade. He is perhaps the best in the country for this upgrade but he's not cheap. Around 15K for the 3.5L, matching transmission, fuel injection system... The only thing still original after he gets done with the car is the fuel tank and a couple other items. I had mine done at Carl's and the 3.5L performance matted to the 5 sp. is amazing. My every day driver is a '97 528i manual and the acceleration of both cars is around 7 seconds. More importantly the power/torque above 60mph with the different gearing makes a HUGE difference. I would highly recommend it if you can afford it. Wish I could have done it myself but I don't have the time....

-Jonathan