Engine compartment seal at firewall

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just installed a new seal in the engine compartments which was about 1/8" taller than the old one , just enough to snap the hood cable when latching closed!

Hopefully it softens up and folds over a bit soon.

image.jpg

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I should have known better. When first feeling the resistance I raised the hood to make sure I hadn’t left any tools under the hood and finding none I proceeded to pull the lever assuming the stiff trim would just bend/fold over. It’s where the seal makes a little jog where it appeared to stay vertical and not flex. The cable breaks at the end plug that inserts into the lever.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
We all have this problem with the new seals being too big or too tough. Has anyone got a recently purchased seal that actually fits? If so, what’s the source please?
Or, an alternative that will do the trick even if it means that I will never win a concourse show again! To be fair, I have never been near to a win, show n shine is a challenge, I get bored with the polishing and go for coffee instead

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
That looks like a better/more flexible design to seal. I just installed a new hood cable and put the old seal back on for now.

BarnE9

Reaction score
Exactly the same thing happened to me last week with new seals from Walloth Nesch. When I installed the new hood cable I refitted both seals stretching them laterally as much as possible. It's seems to be the forward (ie not the U shaped) one that's sitting proud. Slacked the new hood cable a half inch compared to the old one which means the hood not as flush fitting as before but will tighten up over time as the rubber (hopefully) beds in. Only other thought was to try and trim the top edge a little but will only do as a last resort.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This one is soft and works really well. Sourced in Germany. I think Keshav pointed me to this one(?).

IMG_2990.JPG
IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG

Attachments

• Rubber gasket engine compartment.pdf
    804 KB · Views: 124

Honolulu

Reaction score
Hear Hear! for Steele Rubber. They have rubber extrusions that ought to put the OE's flat out of business. I've had their catalog for years but never ordered, mostly being too farking lazy. It does me Good to see someone validating their stuff, not least because now I know they're still in business. Also because I need that exact part, among three dozen others.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This one is soft and works really well. Sourced in Germany. I think Keshav pointed me to this one

That’s right Willem,
From cs-Werke

Honolulu

Reaction score
The part from Steele Rubber is $4.99 per linear foot. The part from CS-Werke is 25 euros or $27.56 plus international shipping. So, 5.52 linear feet of Steele Rubber equals 1 part CS-Werke, without shipping. How much did you need?