Engine ID

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gruppe,

Last spring I bought an M30 engine incase I could not get the original unit in my 74CSA unstuck from setting for ten years. After much soaking with different penetrating fluids I have come to realize that it's time to pull the head and possibly the whole unit.

I'm not sure what the spare engine I have is. I bought it from a kid who was going to put in an E30 (that's why the valve cover is painted red) but never got around to it. He said he bought it rebuilt since it only cost me $200 I went for it.

The head is a 2.8 74 casting with no holes to mount the mechanical fuel pump. Numbers on the head: 12500199. It has an early D jet intake and fuel rail but no other injection parts.
Numbers on the right side block: 30A74 and 125254460.

Could it be a CSI motor?

I've attached pictures.

It looks like I may very well have to use it. So any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Attachments

• bmwm30 001.jpg
    bmwm30 001.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 198
  • bmwm30 003.jpg
    bmwm30 003.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 231
  • bmwm30 004.jpg
    bmwm30 004.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 211
  • bmwm30 006.jpg
    bmwm30 006.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 230
  • bmwm30 005.jpg
    bmwm30 005.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 227

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
The only descriptive way to tell what the block is is by the numbers STAMPED onto the pad above the hole for the starter motor on the rear of the block.

For BMWs up through 1979, this 7-digit number will be the same as the VIN. For example, the first CSi VIN is 2260001.

From what I have read, there is no correlation between VINs from 1980 on, when a standardized 17-digit VIN format began, and the engine numbers stamped on blocks.

There is at least one identifier CAST into blocks. At least some 80-on blocks have large 3.2/3.6 numbers cast into the left side of the block, ahead of where the starter mounts. I know my 86 635 had this.

The CAST numbers on your block are some sort of casting information and cannot be used to ID the block.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Bill is correct...

Which brings up an interesting aspect of Pre '79 BMW ownership and a question I have wondered about for some time... Does this mean that 'matching numbers' will actually be directly discernible up to this date via the VIN on all BMW's and after that year (say 1980) it's a catch all of being able to actually match-up driveline components with a VIN assigned to a particular chassis...as the BMW engine numbering system I posted up had gone into effect?

Unless BMW records were made public how does one actually tell if the driveline originally came with the Chassis in question?

Thanks!

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Bill. I did forget to mention that the ID number that's normally stamped in that spot above the starter has been ground off. So it is what it is, a mid 70's 2.8 m30. If it runs well it doesn't matter. Running an electric fuel pump will be a minor issue.

John M

OZCSi

Reaction score
Was reading this and just wondering if engine guys can tell me what a painted F means on an M90 engine. Not an L, but a very distinct unusual font F above 3.5 cast into block area near starter motor. Painted in white

Thanks in advance

OZ