Engine removal with trans in car

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The major downside to this method is that the car no longer rolls. So it probably needs to occupy the lift for the entire time the engine is out, unless you're going to put the body on a dolly and haul it away for body work. Usually fine if you own the lift, usually not fine if you don't. And yeah it is more things to disconnect.

You can easily build some wooden stands that you then place on a wheel dolly and voila. Car rolls again with no front end.

gazzol

Reaction score
Hi Rohan, how did you get on with this? Personally I've always found it a squeeze and even ended up removing the front pulley to get the engine in and out. I guess it would be much easier if you have one of those crane adapters where you wind a handle and the engine tips up. Lifting it out flat it is quite tight.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't had a go at it yet - trying to borrow a tilting engine stand off of my brother - I keep finding excuses and really just need to tear into it soon rather than procrastinating. This car has not earnt a whole load of love tokens in the last few years though!

JamesE30

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m repainting my engine bay and want to remove the engine to gain some more access and change some gaskets.
I currently have the hood removed (a lot of people seem to avoid this), pretty much all engine accessories and radiator removed as well. I’m changing exhaust so will have to remove it anyway.

From what I gather it’s best to remove the transmission first? I don’t want to pull the trans out of the top (with the engine) unless it’s easier?

This thread (and others) have been really helpful but it seems most people have kept the hood on, does the fact that mine is removed make the process any different? Other than obviously having a little more breathing room.
I have an engine crane so I plan to remove the engine from the top and want to do it the easiest possible way since it’s my first time.

So I unbolt the trans from the bell housing or the bell housing from the engine? The less stuff I have to remove from trans/drivetrain etc the better!

The car is in a relatively low garage so I guess I’ll have to rollout outside for this job.

Any more advise greatly appreciated :D

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I removed my motor from the top without removing the hood. I removed bell housing from motor and removed the water pump as well for more clearance. I removed right front wheel and lowered car as much as possible, don’t bend your brake backing plate! I didn’t have a tilting bar for the hoist but it does make things easier.

When I reinstalled the motor I found it was much easier to install the trans as one unit with its bell housing even though some of the bolts are a bit hard to reach. This was after I failed to install trans to the bell housing already on the motor. I did use extra long bolts to pull the bell housing to the motor so make sure you have some of these, makes it easier to line up.