engine restoration

HBe9

Reaction score
looking for input on restoring my 74 CS, the question is whether to rebuild the original engine and trany vs transplanting a engine/trany from '94 325i. appreciate some feed back

Attachments

• IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 195

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My opinion, it's always best to retain the original engine in any car. Rebuild with an '82 or later head. Triple core the radiator, add a later fan clutch and fan.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
there always will be a lot of discussion on this, just like the classic disputes some people will be forth and others against with equal strengths and the same ammount of reasons

i think that the answer is most inside you than outside, just because technically both solutions are possiblee,... would you like to preserve the originality of the car, knowing that the result of your work is a flavour a feeling of what these cars behave just 40 years ago ?, or you just like the envelop, the body, and you prefer a more powerful mechanics below ?

in my case, maintain it original !

cheers

rb1971

Reaction score
Unless you are going for a concourse or other flavor of totally original restoration, swap in a later motor. You would remove the requirement to fiddle with the carbs (unless, again, that's something you are looking for) and get some combination of better fuel mileage, more power, and higher reliability.

jmackro

Reaction score
looking for input on restoring my 74 CS, the question is whether to rebuild the original engine and trany vs transplanting a engine/trany from '94 325i. appreciate some feed back

Why a '94 325i? Do you just happen to have one lying around?

As others have written, keeping your car original will maintain its value. Doing a swap might be a fun "science project", but I don't think the swap you are considering will be particularly easy.

If you are committed to installing a non-original engine, I'd suggest using a 3.3 or 3.5 liter out of an 80's 5 series - that will be more of a bolt-in. Much has been written about which year/model engines and transmissions will readily fit the e9.

rb1971

Reaction score
As others have written, keeping your car original will maintain its value.

I'm not so certain about this, outside the world of CSLs. Certainly it's true for Ferraris and the like, but a medium-volume vintage BMW - I'm not so sure. Looking at American cars, do people really prefer a Plymouth Satellite that has the original 318 over one that has a more recent 413 or 383 Commando swap?

HBe9

Reaction score
the reason for the 325 engine is the availability of a complete power train from a damaged car with low mile, but I appreciate the feed back and will probably spend the money on the current engine, etc to maintain originality and character of the car with probable minor modification
I guess I would have been more excited if I had an mid 80's M6 complete engine/trany to put in there!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think there will always be a strong market for original engine cars - especially as they hit more critical mass and buyers are looking for the original engine like in other marques, if you want to swap, keep the original engine if you can and sell it with the car if that happens some day. I am an orignal engine dude and would rebuild/blueprint it and put it back in the car.

74EuroE9

Reaction score
Original or Custom?

Plymouth Satellite to an E9..an odd comparison (love MOPARS, btw). But there really only a small number of these cars around the world. The original character of the car is wonderful...remarkably well balanced, with restrained stying. Why Ghetto something special by doing what everyone else does? Real beauty lies in what is unadorned, uncluttered, un-hyped. The E9 is remarkable by what is not there: kitch styling tack-ons and an imbedded vulgarity that seems the norm anymore. Ferrari has certainly lost their way...they used to be real works of art, equally at home in a gallery as hard charging into turn 7. Now they are dime-a dozen Fiats with lots of bloated dentist drivers.