Ethanol Free Gas (Worth the hype? )

audiokat

Reaction score
I'm curious some opinions on ethanol free gas. I've been using is since I purchased my 71 2800 a year or two back. Last week I was in a bind and needed some gas and threw supreme in that bugger and I'd swear it was more peppy!

I only use ethanol gas on road trips where I know I’ll burn through it all. Fortunately here in FL I can get ethanol free conveniently so that’s what’s always in the tank. I’ve never noticed a performance difference but I use it to prevent moisture in the tank and carbs.

I'm curious some opinions on ethanol free gas. I've been using is since I purchased my 71 2800 a year or two back. Last week I was in a bind and needed some gas and threw supreme in that bugger and I'd swear it was more peppy!

interesting topic but:

this is not e9 related so must reubicate in other place, sort of off-topic ?

I've recently tried premium in place of ethanol free.
I believe octane is higher with premium, which did two things for my coupe.
1. Eliminated the "Dieseling" after ignition is cut
2. I also thought it felt a little quicker

I have been using premium for some time with no issues. In fact, there have been times where it has sat for over 12 months and was still good. That is not preferred as the ethanol will absorb some moisture.

The only issue I have noticed is that I have recently had to replace the accelerator pumps on the weber 38's and assume that is a result of an old rubber formula that is not fully compatible with the ethanol.

I have been using premium for some time with no issues. In fact, there have been times where it has sat for over 12 months and was still good. That is not preferred as the ethanol will absorb some moisture.

The only issue I have noticed is that I have recently had to replace the accelerator pumps on the weber 38's and assume that is a result of an old rubber formula that is not fully compatible with the ethanol.
Yea that's the rumor right that is wears our old seals and gaskets?

yea super intersting. Anecdotal for me so just filled it back up again with 90 and I'll see but it really felt a little different. I wouldn't say my dieseling went away but maybe lessened.

I would think that there are two reasons this topic would be relevant to e9s.

Firstly, ethanol was not widely used in fuels when our cars were designed, and therefore the effect it has on parts within our fuel systems is a legitimate question. And it is difficult to get good information on this because nobody is going to fund a large scientific study on it. If you talk to people who repair carburetors, however, there is lots and lots of anecdotal evidence that ethanol fuels break down seals in old carburetors more rapidly than non-ethanol fuels.

Second, e9s with carburetors are designed to allow fuel to be exposed to the atmosphere because fundamentally carbureted cars rely on the difference between engine vacuum and atmospheric pressure to both mix and inject fuel. When a carbureted car sits, the exposure of fuel to the atmosphere allows fuel remaining in the carburetor to break down and as it does it leaves residue behind that can impact the passageways within a carburetor within which fuel and air mix and flow. Both the rate of that breakdown and the types of residues that remain differ with ethanol based fuels. Moreover, ethanol is hygroscopic, and in higher humidity climates, can draw water from the air. (I had a fair amount of rust on the top half of my gas tank because the prior owner parked the car for six years with half a tank of ethanol based gasoline.)

Interesting, given that higher octane gas just resists knocking more, it isn't more powerful, it actually burns slower with less power/mpg which allows for more ignition advance in modern cars. But if it works, it works!

Last edited:
there is lots and lots of anecdotal evidence that ethanol fuels break down seals in old carburetors more rapidly than non-ethanol fuels.
Given that they now sell fuel hose that is "ethanol compatible" is pretty good evidence?

I would think that there are two reasons this topic would be relevant to e9s.

Firstly, ethanol was not widely used in fuels when our cars were designed, and therefore the effect it has on parts within our fuel systems is a legitimate question. And it is difficult to get good information on this because nobody is going to fund a large scientific study on it. If you talk to people who repair carburetors, however, there is lots and lots of anecdotal evidence that ethanol fuels break down seals in old carburetors more rapidly than non-ethanol fuels.

Second, e9s with carburetors are designed to allow fuel to be exposed to the atmosphere because fundamentally carbureted cars rely on the difference between engine vacuum and atmospheric pressure to both mix and inject fuel. When a carbureted car sits, the exposure of fuel to the atmosphere allows fuel remaining in the carburetor to break down and as it does it leaves residue behind that can impact the passageways within a carburetor within which fuel and air mix and flow. Both the rate of that breakdown and the types of residues that remain differ with ethanol based fuels. Moreover, ethanol is hygroscopic, and in higher humidity climates, can draw water from the air. (I had a fair amount of rust on the top half of my gas tank because the prior owner parked the car for six years with half a tank of ethanol based gasoline.)

sure, relevant to e9s but totally irrelevant to e3s

It is my understanding that premium octane (top tier) fuel degrades more slowly than regular, assuming both have ethanol in the US. So it is preferred for cars that have long-term storage. I have not seen data on this for non-ethanol fuel. And, of course, keep your tank topped up in storage.

Back