Euro 1973 BMW 3.0CSi 5-Speed NMNA on BaT

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
As it sits it is a nice car but the owner made a choice. It probably still has the LSD but that car is no longer a CSI.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice car. It looks it has a big bode repair in front of him. Maybe this is why it is for sale...

The Seller is really an honest man as he's sharing a key coding for his car.

I can imagine such situation...
Buyer: Can I drive this car?
Seller: Yes, sure. Here're the keys.
Buyer: No! Thanks I've already have one for my own.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
What about a CSL with an M49 swap? Still a CSL?
Well, of course. A 1965 Shelby GT 350 with a 1986 Fox Body 5.0? Not so much. A 1972 Porsche MFI 2.4 S with a 1977 CIS 2.7? No longer an S. A CSL with a pick and pull 7 series 3.5, is that a CSL?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to but in, but chassis is what truly matters on a car, any car. What engine it has doesn't stop it being what it is, a Shelby GT 350 with any engine or even no engine, is and will always be a Shelby GT 350, it may not be original, it may not be correct, but even an empty shell of a GT 350 is still a GT 350.

A good friend of this forum was recently selling a CSL with non original engine and many non original panels, including the important ones. It is still a CSL, but with a hell of a lot missing.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice car. It looks it has a big bode repair in front of him. Maybe this is why it is for sale...

The Seller is really an honest man as he's sharing a key coding for his car.

I can imagine such situation...
Buyer: Can I drive this car?
Seller: Yes, sure. Here're the keys.
Buyer: No! Thanks I've already have one for my own.
That's why I scrambled the key coding on the photos of my keys with photoshop. I'm not letting those codes out on the internet. My Chamonix over blue 2800CS needs even more work, but that's why I was able to buy it, for a very good price.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to but in, but chassis is what truly matters on a car, any car. What engine it has doesn't stop it being what it is, a Shelby GT 350 with any engine or even no engine, is and will always be a Shelby GT 350, it may not be original, it may not be correct, but even an empty shell of a GT 350 is still a GT 350.

A good friend of this forum was recently selling a CSL with non original engine and many non original panels, including the important ones. It is still a CSL, but with a hell of a lot missing.
Yes, of course it's all about the chassis #. The sagas of Ferrari p3/4 #0846 and Jag #XD505 come to mind. That's at a whole different level of this hobby. This car with a blue velour interior and the 200hp Djet engine would be a different car and what I think a CSI should be. A "real" CSI. That's my opinion. Right now in Germany there is an e34 M5 Touring for sale. It looks very clean and original and priced right but no motor. A suggestion would be to just throw in a junkyard motor from an e34 525 saloon and you'll have an M5 Touring? I guess some people would think so....lucky them, I would imagine!!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are many "special" cars that are no longer running original drivetrains. From Ferrari GTO's to Hemi Cuda's. They will always be what they left the factory as. Just different levels of originality.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have my car at SFDon's undergoing a full on 'restoration' - well, more of a resto-mod now.... It is a 1970 that came out of the factory with the 2.8L carb engine and disk/drum brakes.
It now has a CSi 'look' 3.5L M90 with 5-speed and the upgraded brakes and all sorts of other goodies installed (sourced from other cars).
But - I call it my 2800CS, not a CSi. Says so on the rear. :) Well - it will soon enough anyway (the badges are not installed yet - LOL)

gwittman

Reaction score
I think there are some cars that are no longer what the VIN indicates it is with an engine exchange. For example, I have a 69 Fairlane Cobra that has the original 428 CJ engine. The engine is what makes it a Cobra. If I drop a 302 in it, it is just a Fairlane. I know the VIN indicates it is still a Cobra, but to me that means it can be a Cobra if it has all the Cobra parts, especially the engine.

The value of the 69 Cobra drops considerably without the correct engine. It can come close to the value if it has a period correct 428 CJ engine but a numbers matching 69 Cobra in good condition holds the most value. Yes, our standard Coupes can actually increase in value with an engine and transmission upgrade, but this not the norm. I think the high end coupes (CSL etc.) still hold the highest value as a numbers matching vehicle.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have my car at SFDon's undergoing a full on 'restoration' - well, more of a resto-mod now.... It is a 1970 that came out of the factory with the 2.8L carb engine and disk/drum brakes.
It now has a CSi 'look' 3.5L M90 with 5-speed and the upgraded brakes and all sorts of other goodies installed (sourced from other cars).
But - I call it my 2800CS, not a CSi. Says so on the rear. :) Well - it will soon enough anyway (the badges are not installed yet - LOL)
The short stroke 3.5 M90=awesome motor! You are going to love it!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
right there sitting on the fence next to you ... i have a SFDon euro b34 with a 5 speed. will be upgrading the suspension even further soon as well as going to rear discs. well actually i have been going back and forth whether to put a new 2800cs badge on it ... or go to a 3.5csi badge. i had talked myself out of that, until i saw the coupe on the short video from Mike Pelly recently ... and i really liked the 3.5csi badge. we will see ... but since ceylon wasn't a 2800cs color, i might change the badge. the vin plaque will remain 2800cs

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 72 e3 Bavaria had m30b30 and a BW65 in it. Both are still in good condition but are sitting on stands in the shop.
Now it has an m30b35 w/ Weber 38’s in front of a g265….. the rear says it’s an automatic and I don’t know what to do about it! I still call it my 72 Bavaria, although I also refer to it as “Bob” as well.
And if I put this Euro m30b34 in it I will really be confused.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
right there sitting on the fence next to you ... i have a SFDon euro b34 with a 5 speed. will be upgrading the suspension even further soon as well as going to rear discs. well actually i have been going back and forth whether to put a new 2800cs badge on it ... or go to a 3.5csi badge. i had talked myself out of that, until i saw the coupe on the short video from Mike Pelly recently ... and i really liked the 3.5csi badge. we will see ... but since ceylon wasn't a 2800cs color, i might change the badge. the vin plaque will remain 2800cs
Don should make his own badge for his builds, with the letters SFD.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don should make his own badge for his builds, with the letters SFD.
now i would go for that 3.5 sfd.

I think 3.5CSI is playful and tracks, specially since the coupe crowd would immediately get it. They will also get that it’s a swap and that no one is trying to pass it for something it is not.
i would never put a 3.0csi on my 2800cs because it isn't one ... even though it has all of the upgrades (or will shortly). i like the idea of 3.5csi because there should have been that model. if anybody was a 'cca member in the early 80's, my friend / rally partner Harmon Fischer started the rumor of the 2002F ... a 2002 made the way it should have been made (according to Harmon).

I vote to keep the 2800CS badge but I’m sure you aren’t surprised by that!
no Chris, that isn't surprising ... but you might be surprised that is the way i have been leaning for a while as i have a NOS badge. drilling holes in the trunk lid is something that troubles me - they were filled by the PO when the car was painted black ... along with the automatic badge holes.