Euro 1973 Euro 3.0Si On BaT - Sold $36,750

Geor

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Yes, this is my car. I bought it from Bill about two years ago and shipped it to Atlanta.
Was to be my daily until covid had me not driving (or at least very little). Ironically, my Dad's 318i wagon came available and I bought it.
When I bought this car, Bill met me at Rey's shop (very cool). I believe Rey's guys looked after this car, but I'm not positive.
I'm sure there are nicer e3's out there but I couldn't find em. If any of you are around Atlanta and would like to inspect, pls let me know.
Thanks,
George

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@tmh - My dad had a US 3.0s, in this color combo. But, with leather (of course). That’s why I’m here and own an E3.

I’d like my Baikal/tobacco (or chestnut or whatever) better, if my dad hadn’t had this color combo. Emotional.

Watching these both wrap will be interesting!

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Yes, this is my car. I bought it from Bill about two years ago and shipped it to Atlanta.
Was to be my daily until covid had me not driving (or at least very little). Ironically, my Dad's 318i wagon came available and I bought it.
When I bought this car, Bill met me at Rey's shop (very cool). I believe Rey's guys looked after this car, but I'm not positive.
I'm sure there are nicer e3's out there but I couldn't find em. If any of you are around Atlanta and would like to inspect, pls let me know.
Thanks,
George
Great looking Euro 3.0si. (it’s not a Bavaria) Good Luck! Hoping it’s sets a new BAT standard for e3’s.

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
An interesting comment on this car in the comments section of the auction...

This car was sold by us to USA customer in the end of 2013.

Detailed photos in 2013:

http://www.luxuseveloce.com/index2.php?pagina=lista_carros&categoria=9&produto=11&lang=uk

Top condition non restored car.

Good luck with the sale from Portugal.

Bruno Silva

The car is from Portugal originally
It has only traveled 7,000 KM since it came to the US 8 years ago. (540 miles/year)
It was repainted in the late 1980s

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bill bought it seven years ago when it was imported and he sold it two years ago. It did have rust and Rey replaced an entire frame rail.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sold for $36,750 (plus buyer’s premium). Looks like we know what nice, low mileage E3’s are worth now that 2 have sold for around the same price on BaT.

Will this pull a few more out of the woodwork? Should be interesting to see.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Makes sense since the BaT bidding fever can add 20-25% to actual market value. It is a very nice Si. I wonder who applied the engine bay stickers, everyone of them is in a strange place. :cool:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is the one that sold last fall on BaT for $38,250...

Pros and cons to both. Fairly comparable in the end, however. I'd probably take the '71, but then I love these cars in silver with hub caps. :love:

BorgBmw

Reaction score
Hopefully with two nice examples going for around the same price, the market has been reliably established. Anyway, like the purchaser of the Sahara version a few days ago, it makes me feel better about investing some good money in mine, though I don’t anticipate selling any time soon.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@HB Chris - Though I always joke, “There’s the BaT vs the real world price”, I’m not sure we can say sales there should generally be discounted 20%-25% for a few of reasons:

1. There is a buyer’s premium, so they are really paying more than the sold price in the end. Not sure how much people think about that as they bid. I didn’t!
2. BaT is doing such a volume, they represent a big proportion of the market. For some cars, they almost “are” the market. Heck, 3 E3’s will have sold there within about a week. How many others changed hands outside of BaT in the same time period?
3. While some auctions there do get hot and frothy, then go beyond “market” price, there are also quite a few where the buyer gets a deal. Maybe it was a no-reserve and it just didn’t get that much interest. Just not a busy day. I’ve seen very similar cars sell for dramatically different prices (YMMV). @halboyles came to our cars and coffee here on Saturday. I think he got a pretty good deal!
4. An item is exactly worth what the market will bear at any given time, on any given day. A few may overpay vs. the general market but not consistently (not just cars, but generally).

I like the Fjord, btw. FI and high compression, must be quick! And, sentimental reasons.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The higher end cars like the recent coupe sales are at least 25% overpriced, both CSis had many, many issue. There are a few deals for sure but not on desirable collector grade vehicles.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That’s my point, though. If they are repetitively selling at those prices, it doesn’t matter what we think. The market is moving them at a 25% higher price, that’s the (new) market. It could certainly tank, but right now that’s what it is.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That’s my point, though. If they are repetitively selling at those prices, it doesn’t matter what we think. The market is moving them at a 25% higher price, that’s the (new) market. It could certainly tank, but right now that’s what it is.
You need the two big wallet spenders to show up at the same time, that is the unknown part of the equation. I like Pete’s take on these high prices, it brings out the lesser cars with new lipstick which can then drag prices back down. Coupe prices have certainly been on the rise, e3 as well.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And, will they slide down or will we have a bubble (pop)? While I keep arguing these higher prices are “real“, I do question whether they’ll stay. Is this a temporary frenzy or has the demand gone mainstream, broadening the customer base?

One last point, which you touched-on @HB Chris - there is a difference between the higher dollar cars and others. A $130k car is expensive for most. But, the $35k paid for an E3 or a non-tii 2002 is about the same as a well optioned Camry or Accord. Granted, it’s a second or third or fourth (or eighth, ahem) car for some of us. But, it’s not that much $$ in 2021.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
And, will they slide down or will we have a bubble (pop)? While I keep arguing these higher prices are “real“, I do question whether they’ll stay. Is this a temporary frenzy or has the demand gone mainstream, broadening the customer base?

One last point, which you touched-on @HB Chris - there is a difference between the higher dollar cars and others. A $130k car is expensive for most. But, the $35k paid for an E3 or a non-tii 2002 is about the same as a well optioned Camry or Accord. Granted, it’s a second or third or fourth (or eighth, ahem) car for some of us. But, it’s not that much $$ in 2021.

I think there are a couple of important factors that weigh against a collapse in values of our cars. First and foremost, they are great cars to drive and own. They don't beat you up when you drive them, they perform very well, you can get your luggage in them and if you are at all mechanically inclined, they are pretty easy to maintain. Muscle cars, many of the Italian exotics, the tiny little British roadsters, etc. are just not that easy to live with. Second, they have a very high "wife acceptance factor." And I say this not only based on my wife. Lots of folks here go on road trips and their wives happily go along. With a multitude of other classic cars, particularly sports cars, this is not the case.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Ohmess - Drove the Fjord 2002 down to the Austin Fairmont with our daughter for a staycation (2 mikes from home). Three roll-aboards, a wine backpack/cooler, two large purses, a beach bag thing and a random giant bag my wife had - all in the trunk.