Euro 1973 Euro 3.0Si On BaT - Sold $36,750

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Ohmess - Drove the Fjord 2002 down to the Austin Fairmont with our daughter for a staycation (2 mikes from home). Three roll-aboards, a wine backpack/cooler, two large purses, a beach bag thing and a random giant bag my wife had - all in the trunk.
They (2002's) look puny driving down the road next to modern cars. I'm a big guy, height and weight, and I fit in them just fine. They have way more room than you think and yes, the boot holds a lot of stuff. The Bavaria you have to be careful (and coupe too) not to mess up the toolbox. I crunched my last one with a case of wine in the wrong spot. Right after Legends too. Last close of the trunk and "crunch." Ouch! Glad you had a nice stay-cation with the old lady! They always have giant bags!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
They (2002's) look puny driving down the road next to modern cars. I'm a big guy, height and weight, and I fit in them just fine. They have way more room than you think and yes, the boot holds a lot of stuff. The Bavaria you have to be careful (and coupe too) not to mess up the toolbox. I crunched my last one with a case of wine in the wrong spot. Right after Legends too. Last close of the trunk and "crunch." Ouch! Glad you had a nice stay-cation with the old lady! They always have giant bags!

Had the same issue with my cooler full of beer. It was fine further back in the trunk, but once, just once!, I had it too far forward and I now have a cracked tool box.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’m super-careful about putting things in the trunk of the E3. I really don’t, other than the car cover. The few times I have, I’ve wrapped the items in the car cover. I still have my “elephant skin” - pretty good on the right, a couple of cracks on the left. I was trying to clean it this morning and really can’t. It feels like it will disintegrate. I barely touched it near the bottom a a tiny bit cracked right off. Wish someone made these, again (out of identical looking, but better material).

I wish I could spray coat it with something clear that will protect it. Maybe I’ll look around for that. And, yes, great advice on the toolkit. I may actually take the tools out for now and store them (just put them back to show-off). I’ve heard the weight can crack the old plastic when driving over bumps.

Wait, how did this thread get here? o_O

4FF42B6E-91B7-43B5-A4D5-10AECB9A58E9.jpeg

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
@halboyles came to our cars and coffee here on Saturday. I think he got a pretty good deal!
Thank you @AustinOski! I also think we got the deal of a lifetime. The more time we spend with the coupe the more we realize what great condition it is in.
We had a great time in Austin at the C&C and an adventurous trip home with the '02 roundie trailer.

20210517_144028.jpg

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@halboyles - Good meeting you. Get the lighting figured out? Looks like you guys were on it. Don’t think I could have been any help, so I took my 245 and ran!

Hey, were those wheels on the trailer or did you swap them out after? Don’t recall the matching BBS.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
We did get the wiring sorted out enough to get it home. Terry put those wheels on the trailer to match. It even has a matching spare!

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
suggest you keep the 'trailer' chamonix
We are actually going to do that at least for the short term. So, good idea! I think if we buff it out and refresh the chrome/lenses, it should look pretty good.