Exhaust paint suggestions

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Id like to paint my new exhaust system on the E3. Has anyone used epoxy primer or two part urethan paint on the exhaust, excluding headers and downpipes. Those two sections get too hot for "normal" paint but what about downstream from there? Anyone know of a paint that has stood the test of time and looks OEM, which is suspect is the gray primer color they are shipped with.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have some Eastwoods exhaust paint I plan on painting my rusty looking OE system with. (from the header back) No idea if it is any good. Not looking forward to prepping it.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used hi-temp paint marked specifically for exhaust systems, I was just looking for the "metal" color as opposed to the "rust" color that came with the car. For the manifolds I used Eastwood stainless steel coating, which is supposed to have "steel" in it? who knows but I have had the car running for probably four hours and so far it looks new, also the "high temp" paint I used on the header pipes is holding up well. Regarding the prep, if you use an abrasive layered sandpaper pad (I don't know the proper name for them) on a grinder you can get those pipes right down to the shiny metal and it was really easy, took no time at all.

Just my results so far- Good luck

Attachments

• manifold2.jpg
    manifold2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 158
  • exhaust1.jpg
    exhaust1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 184

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't use any paint on an exhaust system that was intended for high temp application anywhere in the system. There are many exhaust paints out there. Typically they don't do much for corrosion protection however. An alternative, albeit pricey, would be ceramic coating. Many options for finish and color and excellent protection.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used VHT (=very hight temperature) paint on my 635 three years ago and my e3 two years ago. Painted before I put it on and specifically, the connections/welded areas. Goal was to prevent rust more than the look and so far so good.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Use the Eastwood factory grey hi temp exhaust paint. Three years later no issues. Used it on the header and down pipes, comes in a pint can and really soaks in, I used a foam brush.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cerakote:

http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/finishes/

Available in Bake-on or Air-dry. Coupeking uses this stuff on many engine parts and wheels. I used it on wheels and the finish and durability are awesome. You can DIY (with an HVLP gun) or find a local shop that will apply...often anybody who does general ceramic coating will also apply Cerakote.

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cerakote:

http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/finishes/

Available in Bake-on or Air-dry. Coupeking uses this stuff on many engine parts and wheels. I used it on wheels and the finish and durability are awesome. You can DIY (with an HVLP gun) or find a local shop that will apply...often anybody who does general ceramic coating will also apply Cerakote.

Looked it over on their website and it looks interesting. I'm looking for something that I can spray myself with an HVLP gun for a very nice OEM-like finish. Did you apply it yourself?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi
i sprayed all the parts of my NOS original bmw exhaust tubes with a ready-to-use RUST OLEUM rated 750 celsius degrees

i previously used this product in the exhaust manifolds when i rebuild my engine, it is two years since that, and the paint is still there in perfect condition

RUSTOLEUM i believe is an american product

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I did not spray it Luis, but would have done so (and will in the future). The prep is 100 grit oxide blasting (IIRC). When I called a place to do the clean up of the rims (blasting) they said that they use Cerakote all the time and would be happy to spray the wheels as well. I supplied the product and they sprayed it. If you know how to use a spray gun you can apply yourself. There is no mixing of Cerakote, you simply pour it from the container directly into the gun and spray away. They only used 1/2 quart for my rims with a decent coating.

This is really great durable stuff with a nice finish. I used the C-series product which is air-dry. Not sure how the performance is with the baked-on but I can only assume it is better.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cerakote

I am after a way to decrease the amount of heat transferred to the floorboards.
Will painting the exhaust pips with this stuff decrease the temperature? How does that work?