exhilary air valve problems

cal csl

Reaction score
auxhilary air valve problems

Hi guys, I have a 72 csl which i am having problems with the exhilary air valve not fully shutting off when the engine gets warm.

I have put in a new air valve, filter, stainless water pipe, thermostat (80 degrees). Also have slightly bored the fitting the air valve attaches to allowing better water flow and fully flushed the engine, radiator etc.

The result of the air valve not shutting of is that the engine is idling too high. At the moment the idle screw is all the way in just to get it to idle around 1200 rpm.

Any suggestions on what else i should try would be great.

thanks

Cal

Last edited:

pmansson

Reaction score
I had this happening and remember finding some very useful answers here on the forum.
You just need to search with a lot of hits and misses.

One main culprit is debris in the waterway before and after the slide. The 1,5x1,5" metal housing where tubes come and go and where the water temp sender is mounted, is one. The J shaped tubing, with 2 attachment brackets is another.
The air filter needs to be in good shape too.

And then there is the old D-jet to test as well.....
Vacuum issues play in as well.

Does your valve/slide shut completely in a pan on the cooker in your kitchen?

cal csl

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, good to hear you had success getting the valve working. I checked all the tubes, pipes, fittings and tested the valve and finished with a full engine flush out on friday.
Yesterday we all went on a bit of a tour through the Victorian hills and interestingly enough the issue (afte putting the car through its paces a bit) worked itself out and when we finally stopped was idling really low. After a quick unscrew of idle screw the car is now consistently idling beautifully.

Still not convinced the valve is shut 100% as when I cut the air hose that feeds it the revs drop down very slightly, but its good for now.
Below are a couple of picks from yesterday. Mine is the dark green csl.
lineup.jpg

3up.jpg