Expansion tank Solder

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Contemplating powder coating my expansion tank. Anyone know what type of solder was used to make it? Think it can handle 380-400F for twenty minutes?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob,

It's a brass tank so it's likely brazed or silver soldered and the melting point of those alloys are far higher than powder coating temperatures. They are in the high 800's degrees or so. If it was my tank I wouldn't hesitate doing it.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the solder confirmation Luis. I noticed on the web site that put together RB1971's Inka Hot Rod that they have a powder coated expansion tank in their photo section that looks very nice.

DaveG

Reaction score
Regular solder melts at around 430 deg F....Too close for comfort...
DaveG

61porsche

Reaction score
Bob,

Solder depending upon the mix of 50/50, 60/40, etc. starts to change state/ melt at 375F.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, I am scared off now. Will buy some Rad paint from Eastwoods I guess.
Thanks.

jmackro

Reaction score
It's a brass tank so it's likely brazed or silver soldered and the melting point of those alloys are far higher than powder coating temperatures.

I don't think that is accurate - I believe that expansion tanks (and radiators) are held together with lead-tin solder. So paint, rather than powder coating, is the better choice of finish.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I'm surprised that it would be a low temp solder alloy. Glad you all chimed in.

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
I learned the hard way not to do this. I found a used tank that needed paint and figured I'd send it in with some other parts I was powder coating. While being baked the bracket came off the bottom, it fell on the ground causing a big dent and a fair amount of solder was rattling around inside. It's now abstract art on my garage floor