Facebook group and links

lytebrite

Deceased
Reaction score
The purposes for different groups is more for social purposes and I try to make sure that people who require technical information come here. I would s
Hi there,
I'm also a co-admin of a E9 Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmwe9/ )
It strikes me that more and more e9 related groups are being added. For new E9 owners, it is unclear where best to join.
I don't own E9 myself but was asked to help because "I know people".
The most ideal option would be that there is 1 "official" group. Unfortunately, too often groups are formed for personal reasons.
Hi Hans - I can ask the main admin if he is interested in combining forces. Please also ask your co-admin. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to migrate
I think no one here is for shutting FB off for E9 fans.

The real problem for FB is the form it is organized - an info stream.
FB ... and participation in many groups is great opportunity - no doubt.

As Chris mentioned above it was proven this forum is an essence of the information and finding posts from many years back is an easy task.

I'm happy for people have time and energy to talk and read hundreds of posts daily. Maybe I'm different, but I can read even all posts appearing daily on here.

For some publicity shown on FB is not the way they would like to be "available" to the World and security settings on FB are not recommended for the active FB user as they are cutting you from the cooperative and international information exchange.

I do not know how long FB will exist. We know how many other messaging platforms have gone and all the information has been lost forever with switching off the servers.

I'm really happy this forum is still widely used as many of forums passed away. Maybe it is caused by the ages of experience of the many users. I hope it will never end.

Being in the tech industry (horror!) and having been part of a company that sold to MySpace (remember that?) I agree that there is a time and place for for different interests and even different flavors of different interests. I have to say, whether you like it or not, FB is going to be around for a while in some form or another. They are very fast learners and are diversifying into many areas of interest - VR and AR for example. Imagine doing a tech workshop on doing a carb or valve adjustment, and being able to share this with someone in 3D. Maybe this doesn't appeal to the good folks here, but all I can say is yes Buyer beware, you don't get anything for free and be aware of what you share online. Even here. I've already benefitted from the good folks here IRT (in regards to) parts and knowledge and I hope to be able to share this info further with others and point even more new owners here. Thanks for doing such a great job.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
...Maybe this doesn't appeal to the good folks here, but all I can say is yes Buyer beware, you don't get anything for free and be aware of what you share online. Even here...

I don't understand the caveat here. When you say "you don't get anything for free" what does this mean specifically for e9coupe.com? Many of us make financial contributions and share our knowledge so we don't think of the benefit we receive here as "free", but you seem to be suggesting that we should expect these informal informal arrangements to be disrupted.

And as to sharing information about our cars online, what exactly is it we should be wary of sharing?

lytebrite

Deceased
Reaction score
I don't understand the caveat here. When you say "you don't get anything for free" what does this mean specifically for e9coupe.com? Many of us make financial contributions and share our knowledge so we don't think of the benefit we receive here as "free", but you seem to be suggesting that we should expect these informal informal arrangements to be disrupted.

And as to sharing information about our cars online, what exactly is it we should be wary of sharing?
Great questions. I am specifically addressing Facebook in particular, but it pertains to all online and public methods of communication. All publicly available sources of content are broadcast mediums. I have seen members here and on other forums post their personal info - telephone numbers, addresses, etc. If you don't want the info out in the wild, don't post it. That's all I am saying. It is neither a criticism or indictment, but an observation.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have seen members here and on other forums post their personal info - telephone numbers, addresses, etc. If you don't want the info out in the wild, don't post it.

Or in Facebook"s case, you don't even have to post it to be hacked and made public. Everyone should understand that a blanket statement of, "Nothing is private on the internet. Period" is as simple as it gets.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great questions. I am specifically addressing Facebook in particular, but it pertains to all online and public methods of communication. All publicly available sources of content are broadcast mediums. I have seen members here and on other forums post their personal info - telephone numbers, addresses, etc. If you don't want the info out in the wild, don't post it. That's all I am saying. It is neither a criticism or indictment, but an observation.

Thanks for claifying. I share my contact information in conversations, and not in posts. I hope that helps.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I like FB for what it is. I started there for family and friends, mostly grandkids. Now it is mostly car friends all over the world.
Not only BMW but Porsche as well.
I don't like many things FB does. I don't buy anything from FB ads as I got burned.
I don't like their policies and I report things I don't like.
Recently a guy was advertising Go Pro's at a ridiculous price. To good to be true. I reported them. They removed the ad the next day.
Car pages are what they are. Good, bad and indifferent.
I try to help people when I can and call out others for bad information. I also call out dishonest sellers. You should do the same.

I also am discrete with friends. If I've never met you then I'm probably not going to be your friend unless I know you from a forum or other site.
I have a private FB page in Georgia. BMW Classics of Georgia. Started to support classic BMW owners in my area. Something my local CCA chapter does very little of.
There are 300+ members. You have to answer questions to join. It's fun and we communicate about local events, drives and car shows.
I find the people that don't use FB are left out of the loop for car events in my area as it has become the place to promote.

BTW I posted a whole story about my coupe on the
BMW 3.0cs E9 Lovers Of The Classic Icon FB page. It was well received and no criticism, well one. He didn't like a front bumper with my spoiler.
It's a nice page with good stories and photos so far. Thanks.

As a photographer I also enjoy many fun photography groups.
I like steam trains, belong to a few of those. I used to race sailboats, belong to a couple of those.

Enjoy FB and have fun communicating with your friends and family, or don't. Your choice.
Gary Beck

lytebrite

Deceased
Reaction score
I like FB for what it is. I started there for family and friends, mostly grandkids. Now it is mostly car friends all over the world.
I don't like many things FB does. I don't buy anything from FB ads as I got burned.
Recently a guy was advertising Go Pro's at a ridiculous price. To good to be true. I reported them. They removed the ad the next day.
I try to help people when I can and call out others for bad information. I also call out dishonest sellers. You should do the same.

I also am discrete with friends. If I've never met you then I'm probably not going to be your friend unless I know you from a forum or other site.
I have a private FB page in Georgia. BMW Classics of Georgia. Started to support classic BMW owners in my area. Something my local CCA chapter does very little of.
There are 300+ members. You have to answer questions to join. It's fun and we communicate about local events, drives and car shows.
I find the people that don't use FB are left out of the loop for car events in my area as it has become the place to promote.

BMW 3.0cs E9 Lovers Of The Classic Icon FB page. It was well received and no criticism, well one. He didn't like a front bumper with my spoiler.

I like steam trains, belong to a few of those. I used to race sailboats, belong to a couple of those.

Enjoy FB and have fun communicating with your friends and family, or don't. Your choice.
Gary Beck
Hi Gary- Thanks for sharing your unsolicited thoughts. The FB page you posted to is the page I Co-Admin! I was asked to do so because the page founder liked my posts and I've been into BMWs since my teens. After having been in multiple groups both off and on FB, I appreciate people who realize other people are on the other end of their screens. I am making a huge effort to keep it friendly, accepting and non-judgmental. Keep posting!

lytebrite

Deceased
Reaction score

Gary Beck
BTW- Yours is one of the cars that is an inspiration point for me as I look to do some very light mods to mine. So, a 5 speed swap, front airdam and perhaps some suspension work in the near future. I will most likely ask you noob questions.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the FB groups. As mentioned facebook’s format isn’t conducive to structured technical walkthroughs. Most of the technical q&a and historical “knowledge” tends to be off, but corrected. I see a lot of interesting historical CSL and racing photos that don’t surface elsewhere. Plenty of interesting things to see, and people to meet.

I don’t meld facebook group membership or page following with my personal feed and friends list. They are two separate domains as far as I am concerned.