fan clutch on 3.5 m30 conversion

503recheck

Reaction score
I am using a new style waterpump with spin on fan clutch in a new installation fo a 3.5 motor conversion and the radiator is really close to the fan( i think the fan is off a 1990 735 with spin on fan clutch. Is there a better fan blade and clutch arrangement that is still spin on that maybe fits a little better. What arrangement are other people running? any replies are appreciated

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I have an M30B35 in my Bavaria and ditched the mechanical fan altogether. I use a 2-speed electric fan setup from a 90's 325 and I never have had any temperature control issues at all.

61porsche

Reaction score
Old trick- radiator rubber mounts are U shaped. Cut the leg off the front and shift the radiator forward. Slip the piece on the back side.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wrong fan, wrong fan clutch.
Go with this setup....

Uro Parts (Alternate Brand)
Fan Clutch
For models with spin-on fan clutch not bolted to water pump

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...983&cid=16@Cooling System&gid=6812@Fan Clutch

MTC
Fan Blade; 420mm with 9 Blades
1 per car.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...1983&cid=16@Cooling System&gid=6808@Fan Blade

Available for 50 bucks for the set.

Try autohausaz or rmeuropean

Don't forget your discount code....
http://www.ultimatecoupons.com/coupons/rm_european_coupons.htm

pamp

Reaction score
Good....

Advise. I had a slight hiccup in this regard myself. sfdon set me straight with his tried and true recipe and now all is good in the cooling world.....thanks Don!

503recheck

Reaction score
fan clearance issues 3 row radiator

determined that I created the tight fan clearance when I opted for a 3 row radiator when I had my copper radiator rebuilt. I was asked if I had clearance by the radiator shop and forgot during the months between recore and install. I tried the fan and clutch recommended by sfdon and the fan was offset and the clutch was the same I had. I am trying to cut down the size of the nut on the clutch and using the factory blade out of a 1990 735 which has the mounting centered in the offset and the blade diameter is the same as the one recommeded by sfdon but which has the clutch mounting completely offset to the one side. If this does not work I will probably consider electric fan. Word of caution when considering 3 row upgrade from original 2 row radiator

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
With such tight tolerances you might check the condition of your engine mounts. If they are old and soft then the engine could potentially move forward and make contact with the radiator. I am not sure what kind of tolerances you are working with...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry for your fitment problems- I only use 2 row radiators. The 9 bladed fan and a good fan clutch means the 5 bladed fan and the triple row radiator isn't the best solution anymore.

pamp

Reaction score
Hmmm...

The good heads I talked to when I had my radiator out and repaired said two core is best. These are third generation guys, know their stuff passed on from experience of the elders.
Makes sense across the board. The two core passes air more efficiently to the engine bay.
As I have said, heat soak can be an issue. I used sfdons recipe for the water pump and fan clutch assembly and restored the two core. Way to go....in conclusion a well built two core is the best IMO

windnsea

Reaction score
With the radiator removed (3 Row Radiator) I mounted the fan and fan clutch assembly to the water pump and then measured the clearance between the back of the fan and whatever it was closest to (so I could move it back a bit). I then removed the hub which bolts to the front of the pulley and machined down the forward end and the slot so that I could have the fan just a tad back towards the engine from the original position.

Works Great!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI- I spent the morning measuring a dozen radiators and installing a spin on clutch / pump/ fan.
Old style 3 row is 50 mm at the top crossbar and slightly less below that at the core.
New style 2 row ranges from 35 to 40 mm at the top and slightly less at the core.

503recheck

Reaction score
Went with electric radiator pusher fan in front of the condenser

and deleted the fan blade/clutch arrangement completely. Can be found under electric radiator fan thread