Fan Coupling/Shim Issue

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the setup shown. I am clearly missing something as the fan shim fits into the bearing so loosely when tightened that the fan has play front to back and periodically rubs on the radiator fins. Also so loose that the coupling will spin freely on the shim without turning the bearing when completely tightened down. The bearing itself seems fine, smooth and zero play.

IMG_4581.jpg

Last edited:

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
...is this the new type of visco with 26mm or the (former) standard one with 23.5mm clearance?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Parts are original to my 72 Bavaria. I have never had an overheating issue.

Just measured. Bearing ID is 23.8, shim is 23.6mm

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since I don't like dead end threads, let me tell you what I did here. I bought .05mm strips of brass from Amazon and cut a piece to fit around the shim. I held that in place with a rubber band, then tied a loop with fishing line, removed the rubber band then used silver solder to solder the ends and create a sleeve. Fishing line removed. Small cut in the sleeve at 4 spots, 90 degrees apart. Put everything back together. I used a large washer and the M8 bolt to slide the fan/bearing into the shim with the brass sleeve. All works nicely and my car is actually running colder than before.