Fan hitting radiator - water pump ?

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
BM Machine - your fan appears to mounted differently to mine.

On mine the mounting for the fan faces the engine, but yours appears to face the radiator - have i got this wrong ?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if I should switch to an electric Spal puller fan mounted to the radiator.

I've had one of these in my e39 for ten years now, with no problems.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if I should switch to an electric Spal puller fan mounted to the radiator.

I've had one of these in my e39 for ten years now, with no problems.
If it matters to you, they're very loud, and to me sound out of place in our cars.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it's obvious that the change to the fan/clutch is what's causing the issue. Unless I'm missing something here I don't see how a steel support bracket for motor mounts can be designed to work with normal operation of the drive train. Rubber mounts would be designed to work properly. If there's too much movement the mounts would be redesigned to work better. The only purpose I can see an additional steel bracket is for safety reasons during a crash, holding the drive train in place if rubber mounts break. Metal to metal or metal to rubber for extra support doesn't seem logical if you're trying to reduce movement.

If it were my car I'd try Don's modification first and reevaluate from there. EDIT: I see that you've done that already.

Just a long shot... Is that a standard height trans mount? My fan has slightly more clearance on the top of the radiator than it does the bottom, so maybe under braking the trans can lift slightly when the mount flexes but not change the angle of the fan enough to hit anything. It'd be fun to mount a camera next the fan and in the tunnel to watch to movement of the drive train.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
On the tranny mount, I would think the Coupe King mount would limit the movement fore and aft of the entire drivetrain.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I actually think the transmission mount is sooo overlooked. Mine were horrible while the engine mounts looked great. If is "marshmellows", its gotta go.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hope to reference this when I am reassembling my car. A PO installed a 5-speed 265 and iirc there is an oem looking mount that appeared to work well. But I didn't really investigate it in much detail.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I hope to reference this when I am reassembling my car. A PO installed a 5-speed 265 and iirc there is an oem looking mount that appeared to work well. But I didn't really investigate it in much detail.
Strongly recommend th Coupe King mount. I tried both the steel and aluminum BMW mounts, and this one is far better.

Wladek

Reaction score
The single stop brackets were added to the 3.0CS (US) at 2240391 and 2250319. The US 74 coupes received the double stops. These are not intended to stop normal movement of the motor mount.
Ok, maybe it was only for US cars, but it doesn't change a thing that it might help & that originally the front frame is adapted for additional stops, no need to drill any holes etc.

Wladek

Reaction score
BM Machine - your fan appears to mounted differently to mine.

On mine the mounting for the fan faces the engine, but yours appears to face the radiator - have i got this wrong ?
He had a later style fan clutch that was mounted directly on the bolt of later style water pump (late E24, E28, E34 etc.).