Fastest Speed on your E9....

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
on the streets that you felt comfortable?
911/997...the faster the better. My 68 280sl...at 90mph the engine in whinning at very high rpm and it feels like 120mph..not good! I have not had the opportunity to take the e9 at higher than 95mph buy it felt very stable.. Any experience out there...before I find a lonely road for a high speed cruise?
abe

bmwe91974

Reaction score
are in germany again and I tried to run the 220 KMT which is about 136 mph without any problem believing that it can ride out the speedometer, engine is 3454cc with D-jet and five-speed overdrive trans

stefano csl

Reaction score
Across Europe cruises fine at 105 to 115mph with a five speed overdrive. My Speedo under reads a bit, but the Tom Tom sat nav clocked me at 129mph on a stretch of Autobahn with no problems (except wind noise from the window seals) and still pulling. Running 16" alloys, Bilsteins, front strut brace, air dam and boot full of luggage

TodB

Reaction score
top speed

My coupe cruises easily @ 100 mph. Top speed I have hit in it was 125 and there was more left. When I start thinking of the fine, jail time and the fact I am in a 40 year old car going that fast, I tend to slow down.

These are all indicated speeds of course. I could be chugging along at 50 for all I know.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not even close

I cruised cross country at about 90 most of the way. The coupe purred and it had so much more...
I did chase a couple of cars flying along and I think I was well above 90 but I was too busy watching traffinc and the road and my "target cars" to pay attention to the speedo

JhwShark

Reaction score
Driving the Autobahn when I first bought the car in the 80's, the car was cruising well above 170kph...
...I went WOT and all of a sudden I went right to Ludicrous speed...

shanon

Reaction score
Interesting thread...very entertaining.

Had mine up to 225kph on my a Euro speedo, I think my speedo is a bit optimistic, my GPS had me at just over 110mph when I took a peek as I let off from WOT. Felt solid and stable...(it better, its track ready).Then I began to have similar thoughts as mentioned above: fines, PO'd wife called from jail for bail, my impounded coupe getting jacked, and just being stupid & dumb.....LOL! But it was nice to leave the gaggle of pre-73 P-cars and Alfas in the Coupe's wake....;-) (no offense my P-car/alfa friends)

Curious as to what others on this thread had for gears. I have a CR 5spd with 3.45 LSD, it's quick but I think it will likely top out at about 115-120mph as geared. maybe if I lived in Nevada or Montana I'd drop in the OD for longer legs.

Since we're on the 'top speed' topic, my brother gave me some in-car footage of his 73-E9 racer in a race on the big oval in Fontana, CA (Cal Speedway). He runs a 5 spd OD with a 3.91LSD. It was hilarious watching the speedo needle start to go past the odometer....!!! It was still pulling then he ran out of oval and had to dive back into the road course.....we guess 150+mph. After that we thought he should upgrade from a 4pt to a 6pt cage....

OK everyone...be safe and stay within your limits and car prep..don't want to see any coupes on the evening news wrapped around a pole or fellow Coupers getting cuffed....

Remember... everyone be cool...