Favorite Tires?

e9coupeMA

Reaction score
Gentlemen - I am currently running Yokohama 205/55 ZR16 89W tires on all four wheels. Concerned the front wheels are too large as the driver side tire has hit the outside of the wheel well when hitting potholes, etc. never popped a tire but left a slice or two. Thinking about replacing the front tires with a thinner (lower profile) tire than a 55. The next size down.

Given that I have 16” rims. What would be your favorite tire model and size to run??

thanks in advance. Been loving these forums.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No need to change tire sizes that's the correct size tire. Need to roll the front fender lips between 10 & 2 on both sides & install adjustable negative camber plates. Contact Vintage Sports & Restoration in Bedford NH, 603-228-2888 you'll talk to either Chris or Mario Langsten.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Get the fenders rolled. I also learned the hard way and took chucks out of both my front tires after I put on CN lowering springs.

FCA337D6-FC52-439F-9397-4C5E06C546D1.jpeg
34A976B9-1252-4217-80D5-77F98EBF6AD8.jpeg

dbower

Reaction score
What is best practice these days for fender rolling, given that I'm not excited about fixing cracked paint?

Don

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don, heat is your friend. heat the fender lip, then roll gently, heat some more and repeat. keep doing it until you get the lip rolled. i have the rolling tool if you would like to borrow it.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gentlemen - I am currently running Yokohama 205/55 ZR16 89W tires on all four wheels. Concerned the front wheels are too large as the driver side tire has hit the outside of the wheel well when hitting potholes, etc. never popped a tire but left a slice or two. Thinking about replacing the front tires with a thinner (lower profile) tire than a 55. The next size down.

Given that I have 16” rims. What would be your favorite tire model and size to run??

thanks in advance. Been loving these forums.
taking it to VSR will solve the problem, but as Murray told me years ago, camber plates and rolling the fenders. Chris or Mario will take good care of you at VSR.

favorite tires for 16" wheels ... there are many to choose from, i would run a staggered setup 205/55 on front and 225/50 on rear. my favorites are

michelin pilot sport all season 4 - UHP all season
continental extreme contact dws06 - UHP all season

firestone firehawk indy 500 - UHP summer
continental extreme contact sport - max performance summer

for 14' or 15", its pirelli cinturato cn-36

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding tires.

on Veronika the 1600 Cabriolet Vredeststein Sprint Classic
On Vern the 2002Tii I have been running crappy Kumho Solus TA11s, will be changing to Pirelli CN36s
On Athena, currently Kumho Ecsta PS31s, will be changing to either, Continental Procontact TX 89V or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +3 91H
On the M5 Continental ExtremeContact Sport which are amazing
on the M3 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which are excellent