Feeler: M1 steering wheel

duane_sword

Reaction score
I had a BMW Motorsport wheel on my coupe (kept it) but decided to install a Momo-Alpina wheel from the late 70s to complement the Alpina tribute theme of my E9, but I recently decided to go with a 380 Petri and was thrilled when the Alpina horn button from the Momo fits perfectly in the older Petri.

Petri looks great in the car. Though I like the fatter rim and feel of the BMW Motorsport wheel (which looks like the M1 wheel), the thin rim and larger diameter of the Petri is more of the look and feel I wanted. Its a personal choice unless you want to be fastidious about originality. Buy a Petri and hold on to your M1 wheel for a few years, in case you change your mind or want some pocket money.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's your car, make it the way you want it, you are the one who spends the time behind the wheel.

My 'originality cop' philosophy:

Period correct 'accessory' bolt on parts are OK.

Non-period correct bolt on parts which can easily be returned to 'original' are OK, yet may be frowned upon light heartedly, of course.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought a used one in good shape, except the leather needs to be redyed, for $135...

Yikes. OK, it looks like my hope of offsetting a bigger portion of the purchase price of a Petri is dwindling. I really had no idea of market price on the M1 wheel, but they must not be particularly rare or desirable. Anyone know if it's likely that the M1 wheel was a dealer or factory option? Curious if mine might have been ordered with it, or if it was "aftermarket."

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can see quite a few M1 steering wheels on Ebay.de.

Search under BMW m1 Lenkrad.