fender supporting strut placement

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm about ready to weld on the drivers side supporting strut (Part number 8 in the link photo) that holds the fender in place, but I really need to double-check the exact placement (on the firewall end) before I weld in place.

Does anyone have their fender cavity open that can give me some precise location measurements?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3435&mospid=47811&btnr=41_1207&hg=41&fg=10

Malc

Reaction score
Guess what?
The fenders are still off my car, but I used Jaymic pattern parts, will pics of those do to give a rough idea.
Let me know
Malc

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
YES!!

Malc,

Any shots you could send me would be great. I'm basically concerned about the height placement.

How did I know I'd get a reply from you? You are very generous with your time and assistance.

Thanks for the offer and all the help/inspiration.

[email protected]

Malc

Reaction score
No Worries :D
I'll take some pictures tonight (Monday) and punt them on
I'll even try and remember to put a tape measure in some of the shots so you get and idea of scale and placement.

I had to replace the inner wing (fender) extensions, which I did first and then added the Jaymic copy of part number 8. That way I knew that I could weld the bits all together!
Malc

Malc

Reaction score
I found some pictures on my er works computer :shock:
If you need more let me know!

First make sure it butts up against the wing extention at the top and against the side of the turret top reinforcing plate. Mark it all up and drill holes for plug welding (Oh boy my favourite!)

100_0163.jpg

When your happy that everything is lined up, double check before welding. Note that these panels are Jaymic pattern parts. I had to trim and twiddle with them to get them to fit.

100_0164.jpg

Once I had welded the panel in place I then added the smaller part along the bottom that forms the famous rust trap!
You can just see it in this picture of the LHS

100_0166.jpg

Process repeated on the RHS. I flipped the car over to weld the top of the panel to the wing (fender) extension which is new

100_0165.jpg

Although I haven't done it yet I will seam weld the panel to the turret top plate etc once I have finished the rear arches ..... :roll:

Hope these are of some use
Malc

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
inner wing (fender) extensions

Hi Malc,

Thanks for the pics. They were very helpful.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong, but there's more than 1 way to skin a cat...
I too have to replace the inner wing (fender) extensions, but mine is a little bent up, so I figured it would be better to put that on after the support wing.

Maybe I'll buy a new inner wing (fender) extensions from Jaymic. It may slow me down a few weeks, but what's a couple of weeks when this whole thing has taken a couple of years (and counting..)

Anyway, thanks for the pictures and maybe soon I'll post some of my own mess. (My welds do NOT look as good as yours...gotta work on that plug weld thing.)

Thanks

Malc

Reaction score
Laldog,
Genuine Wing extensions are available from BMW mobile tradition, or via Wallothh&Nesch, where I got mine. THe Jaymic pattern parts ain't that great, thought they to can supply the genuine article.
Malc