FI advice wanted

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I’m going to start accumulating the necessary bits and pieces to convert my twin carb 3.5l to fuel injection at some point in the next two years. I know that somebody will ask why I don’t just buy the S38 on ebay but I’m not interested in the scale of that operation (I was tempted).

The plan is to use a distributor-less fuel injection/ignition system (http://sdsefi.com/ ) so the majority of the components I need to assemble are the mechanical and plumbing bits. This is a commercial “mega squirt” type alternative to the Bosch ECU with good local tech support (it’s made in Calgary and I’ve talked to them about the conversion). They have options as alternatives/replacements to some of the stock components and said the basics I’ll need are injectors, pressure regulator, fuel rail, fuel pump, return line from regulator to fuel tank and throttle body.

I know the D and L Jet throttle body and runners will work with the “Spanish head” I have, but will the Motronic? Which will flow the most air? I scrolled through the 88 treads in the Search function when I typed in “Motronic conversion” but couldn’t find and reference to the spacing of the intake ports of the M88 versus M30. Any difference? There are several Motronics available and I’m sure the others are out there, too.

I know there are issues with the Motronic air box and the brake booster. If there is an increase capacity for intake versus the D and L Jet it might be worth the hassle of going to a hydraulic booster. Any other physical problems with D, L or Motronic?

Why do it? Gas quality is getting worse, altitude, performance and fuel economy and the tune-ability of the system. And to be honest the 4-6 months of winter storage time when idle hands do the devils work.

Malc

Reaction score
Pretty sure a motronic inlet tract will work on the 6 cylinder head

I am only experience in RHD E9's so I cannot comment on physical clearance problems

Another problem I can see is that you will have fabricate a suitable throttle linkage

If you get one second hand make sure it comes off a "Big 6" BMW (5,6,7 series) not a small 6 (3 series, some 5 series)
In regard to flow there is very little difference between the older "log" and seperate runners compared to the Motronic one piece item.
The tracts are slighty longer so torque maybe better at lower RPM
Motronic hardware might be easier to find second hand because it's basically "newer"

I too intend to go down the SDS route with a "mix and match" system of D and Motronic setups :roll:
I will probably be over in Calgary in the next month or so. let me know if you want to meet up etc to discuss
Cheers
Malc