Finally, a proper introduction

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A toss-up, usually predicated by Weather. The hotter it is, The a/c is much better to have, so accordingly the Coupe. It’s been unusually hot this Summer here in the Midwest but what I am complaining about! You folks down in FL have been pretty toasty, too. So, which do you drive more, and why?

TodB

Reaction score
I've had my coupe for 18+ years and I had AC added to it before we moved South from MA early last year. My 2002 "arrived" a year ago in June. I find an excuse to drive it every day. It does not matter how hot is is, I just roll down the windows and drive the snot out of it. It makes me chuckle. I have to force myself to drive the coupe every two weeks just to keep it exercised which reminds me.... But every time I drive it, it now feels like a torque filled GT cruiser compared to the (mostly) stock motored 02.

If only they had roads with curves on FL...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I had my '72 tii I enjoyed driving it more than my coupe. Neither had a/c and in Sacramento is gets over 100deg quite often in the summer. Like Tod.... windows down, who cares how hot it is! :)

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Geez, guess I’m a cold house plant. The Tii has a black interior. So when it is above 90F with 60%+ humidity, I tend to become deep fried Twinkie. Yeah, know all about 285 air “conditioning”. Just can’t find it stuck in traffic. Otherwise, like you’all, just love blasting around in the Tii, and leave the boulevard cruising to the Coupe. Too bad James Bond didn’t blast around in earlier Vintage Bimmers. That 7 Series in Die Another Day was farcical except for the gizmos.

TodB

Reaction score
Sounds like tod May sell his coupe ... get in line folks.

John
(Just kidding).
Not so far off actually. I actually considered selling my coupe and then buying an Alfa and an Elan, the latter being my automotive holy grail. I have these hair brained ideas each time I see an Elan for sale.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, if you must then you must. Hate to see another coupe being sold by such a loving owner. Have almost had a similar situation. Wife spelled-out that our garage is at limit. Further purchases of automobiles will require the sale of one of my cars. Had considered selling one of my wife’s cars instead,. Response was,”you too can be watching a 15” black and white TV in your future” and “a trip to the jewelry store will become mandatory with anything under 5Karats would be considered friendship”.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
“a trip to the jewelry store will become mandatory with anything under 5Karats would be considered friendship”
A friend sold a 190sl Mercedes to buy his wife a diamond ring. The ring is worth half and the car is now worth 10 times. He reminds her about that when the number of cars he has becomes a topic. :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome ... very nice coupe ... i don't think you will regret buying great examples of these cars that were done by a highly regarded shop ... a tii and a great coupe. well done

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello Whipcity. Your cars are great. Also, be advised that many of us are not all that great with social media, but we muddle through here in order to share our love of these fine machines.

And as a Cheesehead, I must contradict Markos -- there cannot be too much picking on IL.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wife spelled-out that our garage is at limit. ...a trip to the jewelry store will become mandatory with anything under 5Karats would be considered friendship”.
(1) those drive on storage lifts can double your garage capacity, even if you have a low ish ceiling (buy lower cars).
(2) jewelry as a bribe to buy another car. More common that you think, and sure seems fair to me.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not so far off actually. I actually considered selling my coupe and then buying an Alfa and an Elan, the latter being my automotive holy grail. I have these hair brained ideas each time I see an Elan for sale.
Tod,
Why not get the Alfa AND the Lotus. It's really the perfect trio. The E9 is your stylish elegant fast cruiser. The Lotus is a real sports car in the classic sense, and frees you from trying to make your E9 handle like a tii with coil overs and other silly bits. And an old Alfa means you never have to feel insecure with the F/L/M guys who know where their roots are.

There is a very nice 26R replica on BAT for way less than a nice tii, if you don't mind wearing goggles or a helmet.

John

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wife spelled-out that our garage is at limit. Further purchases of automobiles will require the sale of one of my cars. Had considered selling one of my wife’s cars instead,. Response was,”you too can be watching a 15” black and white TV in your future” and “a trip to the jewelry store will become mandatory with anything under 5Karats would be considered friendship”.

I just bought my wife a 2016 E class; if I am going to try to get cars I want, it is imperative that she have the car she wants. We've been doing this for a couple of decades now.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry guys, have been out of the country for the last bit. Yeah, some high-speed antics with a different dialect German manufacturer. 261kph on A2 from Swiss/German border to Wiesbaden. Ethereal. Anyway, wonderful comments from you’all about everything mentioned recently. Thanks. Both Bimmers were highlighted over the weekend of 9/8 at a BMWCCA local chapter meeting at Euroquipe. Very nice event. Well received by participants and principals. Will look over photo shoot to see if anything is worth sharing.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know this is exceedingly late. Became very sick last year by a simple out patient procedure going awry. Didn’t even get either car out. They both got serviced and were tucked away. Am so very sorry. As we all stay shelter-in-place, can only believe that joy riding will return on the other side. Please stay safe and well everyone.

F8D766FB-BCF2-42BF-8D40-CF5B15C99972.jpeg

CE659B39-6D3D-4199-9E45-32B47F33B97A.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @Whipcity,

Glad you are doing better! I fixed your images. After attaching, place your cursor where you want them and click on the full image button