Finally an owner member

I recall there was a right side version of your mirror (otherwise what would Britons use for the driver side?).
hi arde, sure you are right, but how to find one ? that is the question !

Here is a picture with my 72 bumper configuration and the Hellas I was peddling to you.
sorry i don´t understand your advise on the Hellas, show me how to identify the difference, are mine´s ok ?

http://home.earthlink.net/~b_jamin/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hellas2.jpg
front952.jpg

PB134456.jpg

Last edited:
Put a request in parts wanted section here, perhaps one of our UK brethren has one lying around.

I recall there was a right side version of your mirror (otherwise what would Britons use for the driver side?).
hi arde, sure you are right, but how to find one ? that is the question !

Last edited:
John,

That mirror is not incorrect because 'somewhere' between `72 and `73 they appear to have changed from the trapezoid to the flag mirror. Who knows when, and right side flag mirrors do appear on eBay but RealOEM only shows the L + R Trap mirrors available new from BMW. 2002s also got both types of mirrors although I think they stayed with the trap style longer. A good friend and original owner of a Tii built in May `73 has the traps and my e9 built a week later has flags on both sides so they could have had either.

Edit: the part number from Max shows it as available and does cross reference to the e21/e3/e9, etc, but on Real OEM if you search by e9 and build date and not part number it only shows the trap style. Go figure!

Last edited:
Trapezoidal Mirrors

And if you want trapezoidal mirrors, you can obtain at coupeking.com
He is remanufacturing them....
Stan

DeQuincey, yours is a Euro so you already have the right headlights. A highway patrol is the only car behind you care about. You don't need more mirrors to know you are being stopped.

Those wheels look similar to Hammans. Not quite the same, but close enough to wonder. If they are, you can get decent money for them to pay for other CS things!

Dan

DeQuincey, yours is a Euro so you already have the right headlights. A highway patrol is the only car behind you care about. You don't need more mirrors to know you are being stopped.

you are right, i have no intention of adding a new mirror in my right hand side, i prefer the "retro" look of only one mirror, i love it !

regards

I had to laugh when I saw the comments about the mirror position. I had someone riding in my '72 CS one time say, "I've never been in a car that had the side view mirrors NEXT to you instead of in front of you!". Its still not as weird as seeing the turn signal on the right side of the column on a 2002.

Dan

I had to laugh when I saw the comments about the mirror position. I had someone riding in my '72 CS one time say, "I've never been in a car that had the side view mirrors NEXT to you instead of in front of you!". Its still not as weird as seeing the turn signal on the right side of the column on a 2002.

Dan

That always messes me up for the first couple of miles when I take the coupe out for a spin. The turn signal stalk is on the "wrong" side to me.

That always messes me up for the first couple of miles when I take the coupe out for a spin. The turn signal stalk is on the "wrong" side to me.

That used to make me crazy in my Bavaria too so I switched it to the other side of the column. Now 30 plus years later I haven’t even got the slightest idea :oops::confused::oops: of how I did it back then. Anyone having helpful ideas on that would be much appreciated. Flipping the turn signals and getting rid of the automatic are both on the must do list before I put the car on the road next year. I already have the 5 speed coming so I need to buy pedals and I guess some console pieces next. Thanks for all the help :-D. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Indeed confusing in the beginning. My two other cars have a 5 and a 6 speed gearbox whereas the 2800 CS only has 4. Does not help much either :mrgreen:

Like Atlas said, it only takes a minute to adjust to the mirrors and turn signal locations - I like it because they add to the vintage coupe experience (along with the pre-flight walk around). My guess is that you'll find plenty of other things to work on before worrying about changing the turn signal location :mrgreen:

That used to make me crazy in my Bavaria too so I switched it to the other side of the column. Now 30 plus years later I haven’t even got the slightest idea :oops::confused::oops: of how I did it back then. Anyone having helpful ideas on that would be much appreciated. Flipping the turn signals and getting rid of the automatic are both on the must do list before I put the car on the road next year. I already have the 5 speed coming so I need to buy pedals and I guess some console pieces next. Thanks for all the help :-D. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Which 5 speed did you get? Also, as a "while you're there" sort of thing, a shift kit is an excellent addition. The UUC unit on my E9 feels awesome.

Those wheels look similar to Hammans. Not quite the same, but close enough to wonder. If they are, you can get decent money for them to pay for other CS things! ~ Dan

No Dan, the wheels are Beyern and I hate them. My friend nailed it when he said “The spokes are too close to the outer edge of the wheel making them look like wheels for a front wheel drive car”. It’s a shame because there’s almost 2” of aluminum cast behind the spokes to move them away from the rotor to get that look, if the spokes were sunken that 2” and maybe painted dull aluminum they wouldn’t be nearly as horrid looking. Way too much bling or chrome pop for me but if I decide to cruise the ghetto looking for a girlfriend they may be perfect :roll::roll:. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Way too much bling or chrome pop for me but if I decide to cruise the ghetto looking for a girlfriend they may be perfect . ~ John Buchtenkirch

Whoa. John what's up with this comment? Please keep the social commentary to yourself.

Walter

Which 5 speed did you get? Also, as a "while you're there" sort of thing, a shift kit is an excellent addition. The UUC unit on my E9 feels awesome.

I have a Getrag 265 with the wide ratio & overdrive (3.82 first, .81 fifth) coming. Thanks for the tip on the shifter :-D, is it a real pain to install at a later date when the transmission is in the car ? ~ John Buchtenkirch

I have a Getrag 265 with the wide ratio & overdrive (3.82 first, .81 fifth) coming. Thanks for the tip on the shifter :-D, is it a real pain to install at a later date when the transmission is in the car ? ~ John Buchtenkirch

Not if you have lady hands. It involves trying to place stiff circlips by touch alone, as you have to wind your hand above the driveshaft and exhaust.

Since you are converting, what flywheel are you going with? The earlier single-mass units provide the best engine response due to their low weight. Heck, the stock unit on my E9 is about the same weight as a UUC lightweight one. Also, since you are going to be back there, an engine rear main seal replacement will save you some hassle later on.

Back