Finally found my e9...

xing6666

Reaction score
After a great deal of searching, I bit the bullet on an Italian '71 CSi owned by the same family since the early 80's. I have to give a huge thanks to our very own Hack Mechanic for both turning me on to this vehicle (through his forwarded CL posting in the for sale section) and then his subsequent critical assistance in being my eyes, ears, hands - and occasionally, brain - from 1000+ miles away. Fellow Sharkfester Justin K also deserves some serious recognition for going to pick up the parts car and a 24' enclosed trailer worth of parts.

With the car came a 2nd complete (but heinously rusty) CSi parts car as well as an astounding number of spare parts - some of which are new old stock. The car is on its way to Fort Lauderdale where it is being dropped at a reputable metal shop to be de-rustified where necessary and thoroughly rustproofed. I have not yet decided whether to keep the car stock or do a CSL tribute (no flares or anything crazy, just the batmobile look). Originally the car was tundra but I'm disinclined to redo the car in that color... Green's just not my thing.

Regardless, I know some of you folks already and I'm sure will be bending some ears as time goes on. Looking forward to a crazy journey.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 302

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!
Please take a minute to register both cars on the CS Registry (see black bar above)

Total color change? Consider one of the exciting period correct colors; Ceylon, Colorado, Inka!

Looking forward to the results!

Good luck

tmason

Reaction score
Congrads and welcome.I'm looking for wood trim for both doors if you have any extra's in good shape.
Good luck with your project and looking forward to more pictures.
PS Stan forgot to mention white w/red as well on a color choices.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome!
I am over here on the West Coast of FL if I can be of any help. My buddy here Keith is looking for some spare parts for his coupe.

Mike up in Lake Worth has two coupes and a bunch of spares.

Scott

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome!

Is the rusty spares part being shipped inside the same truck with the good car?

No opinion on the color, don't need more enemies.

jmackro

Reaction score
I have not yet decided whether to keep the car stock or do a CSL tribute (no flares or anything crazy, just the batmobile look).

Oh, you don't think the batmobile look is crazy? My vote would be to paint it a color that you love, but skip trying to make it into something it never was.

xing6666

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!
Please take a minute to register both cars on the CS Registry (see black bar above)

Total color change? Consider one of the exciting period correct colors; Ceylon, Colorado, Inka!

Looking forward to the results!

Good luck

I've been thinking about possibly Inka... If I did a CSL tribute I would probably go white with the M stripes or silver with the black stripes. I will do the registry as soon as I lay my hands on the car and can get some photos up.

Congrads and welcome.I'm looking for wood trim for both doors if you have any extra's in good shape.
Good luck with your project and looking forward to more pictures.
PS Stan forgot to mention white w/red as well on a color choices.

Honestly, I'm going to have probably spend a few days going through all the parts and cataloging everything. I know I'm getting an astronomical amount of parts, but I honestly have no idea what they are... there's just too many. Not a bad problem to have. Most likely until I'm finished with the build, I'm gonna be a miser and not part with anything as I don't know what I'll be needing.

Welcome!
I am over here on the West Coast of FL if I can be of any help. My buddy here Keith is looking for some spare parts for his coupe.

Mike up in Lake Worth has two coupes and a bunch of spares.

Scott

Thanks for the heads up! I'll certainly let you know - there is no such thing as too many resources when it comes to a project like this.

If you really want to draw a crowd paint it Taiga or Golf.

Taiga? Nah - if I'm gonna stay green, I'd stay stock with Tundra. Iunno... I've been looking at some pictures of Tundra cars and they are kinda growing on me...

Welcome!

Is the rusty spares part being shipped inside the same truck with the good car?

No opinion on the color, don't need more enemies.

Thanks for the welcome... and no, the spares are being shipped with the parts car. Why... is the rust THAT contagious? LOL

Oh, you don't think the batmobile look is crazy? My vote would be to paint it a color that you love, but skip trying to make it into something it never was.

Not really... some people have been trying to get me to do the group 2 body kits with sidepipes, 350hp motor blah blah blah which I have absolutely no interest in. So yea, by comparison, the batmobile is pretty tame. If I did it, I would be skipping the huge tail, but would have the seats, rubber fender strips and the spoiler over the rear window.

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
If I did it, I would be skipping the huge tail, but would have the seats, rubber fender strips and the spoiler over the rear window.

OK, as long as you skip that "boy racer" huge tail, you have my blessing.

Me, I'd be embarrassed driving around in one of those. For a purely track car it might be OK, but taking your batmobile tribute to the local Safeway would be kind of creepy. And, if you can't drive your e9, why own it?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
plus you'll always be answering the questions if it is real or not, like the replicobras.

Me, I'd be embarrassed driving around in one of those. For a purely track car it might be OK, but taking your batmobile tribute to the local Safeway would be kind of creepy. And, if you can't drive your e9, why own it?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
xing6666;121359 Thanks for the welcome... and no said:
No, a troll has been saying that rust can jump from one car to another just like a flea.

xing6666

Reaction score
no, a troll has been saying that rust can jump from one car to another just like a flea.

lol

The little duck tail spoilers look sharp but not outrageous in my opinion.

Yea, that's what I would do.

Iunno - if it's genuine, I wouldn't be embarrassed one bit. Hell, a genuine bat-mobile is $100k+ now and that's part of its authenticity. That being said, I wouldn't be taking ANY e9 to the local supermarket either lol. I live in south florida, so unfortunately, as with my e24 resto, you can't take it anywhere without worrying. People down here have no respect for personal property - particularly cars - and they drive like maniacs. No - the sad truth is, it's going to wind up a garage queen/Sunday driver as long as I live down here.

plus you'll always be answering the questions if it is real or not, like the replicobras.

Yea, I agree that's annoying. I just love the CSL look and restored cars are, afterall, a creation of our own desires.

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
Iunno - if it's genuine, I wouldn't be embarrassed one bit. ...... and restored cars are, afterall, a creation of our own desires.

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I'm just philosophizing here; after all, it is your car, and unlike your fellow Floridians, I do respect your property rights. But my sense is that you are looking for ideas, so here are mine:

Agreed that a genuine CSL, outrageous aero kit and all, is an interesting car. Not sure I'd want to own one, but I do admire them.

A replica CSL might be a worthwhile project if you intend to use it as the factory, whaletailed CSL's were used back in the day - as all-out race cars. But many vintage racing sanctioning organizations don't condone replicars. So while projects like that are fun to dream about and interesting challenges to build, once they're done, they either sit in a collection, or get sold at a discounted price. Consequently, I am advising you to restore your new coupe to a more street/stock standard in order to get maximum use out of it.

Last edited:

Stefan

Reaction score
Welcome on board xing6666

Remember to always post a lot of photos on this board when doing something :)

And I could/would recommend the earlier post by jmackro to have in mind....

A well done original renovation will surely pay off in any coming future sales due to the brand of BMW. An replica car would be fun to have just now and perhaps not will bring invested money back in the future sales. With "future" I mean approx +10 years.

This car is so fun to own and drive, so whatever you do, you do it right. :)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice acquisition Kai.

I look forward to seeing it at SharkFest next year!

xing6666

Reaction score
Nice acquisition Kai.

I look forward to seeing it at SharkFest next year!

Pffff - no chance, I wish. I don't have the... Let's call it "financial pull" to make a project of this magnitude go that fast :). I'll be lucky if it's ready for the 2016 show.

Welcome on board xing6666

Remember to always post a lot of photos on this board when doing something :)

And I could/would recommend the earlier post by jmackro to have in mind....

A well done original renovation will surely pay off in any coming future sales due to the brand of BMW. An replica car would be fun to have just now and perhaps not will bring invested money back in the future sales. With "future" I mean approx +10 years.

This car is so fun to own and drive, so whatever you do, you do it right. :)

I'm gonna start a rebuild thread in the appropriate place. I plan to document the process well. I understand what you're saying about replica vs resto, but the problem is, I don't think I want a green car, so right off the bat I lose the original restoration points...