Finishing School for a Fjord 3.0 CS / 100 projects to improve a Coupe / Countdown

John-T

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Project 88: Obtain BMW Classic Certificate. See attached. 125 Euros later-BMW Archiv has confirmed my car is in fact -Fjord. A bit of a disappointment that BMW production did not record the interior color.

For 125 Euros did you receive a printed Certificate or did you have to print it off an email response?

John-T

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For 125 Euros I received and email with a pdf attachment. That's it. Furthering my disappointment.
You don't get much information from the BMW certificate.
We all know Hoffman was the importer to US, the original color shows on a tag in the door jamb.
I guess the only information you will get for 125 euros is the production / delivery date.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You don't get much information from the BMW certificate.
We all know Hoffman was the importer to US, the original color shows on a tag in the door jamb.
I guess the only information you will get for 125 euros is the production / delivery date.
No that was free too.

Bajasur

Reaction score
My 1974 E9 (4335301) just turned 50! I also ordered the BMW Classics Certificate…. kind of a waste of money, IMHO. Not any info I didn’t already know, and no factory production interior color, which I wanted to confirm to start a full resto. Oh well. Probably going to keep factory Riviera Blue exterior and current tan interior color. Interior was refurbished under previous owner, but door panel ashtray insets look original to me and are tan, so I’m guessing original interior was tan. Anyone know the official BMW interior name in 1974 for tan??

Breiti

Reaction score
Don't be disappointed...
I paid 160 € for a bad scan of a production card from my Mercedes.

Breiti

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Project 87: Recreate the original 'Packsettel' quality control check sheet.

I had an original one of these once. It was fastened to the bottom side of the rear seat in what became my 3.8 CSi that was build in the 1990s. The original had a few hand written initials in the "Kontrolle'' area on the bottom right. I recreated the exact check sheet down to the correct font and size. I guess I will just tape it to the bottom of the rear passenger seat like the original. If you have a car heading to an upcoming concours, let me know and I can make one happen.
Paul, Do the judges in a real Concours ask you to remove your rear seat to see if the build sheet or "Kontrolle" paper is present? Thanks, Drew

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul, Do the judges in a real Concours ask you to remove your rear seat to see if the build sheet or "Kontrolle" paper is present? Thanks, Drew
Drew,
Chris Macha @HBChris reminded me that this 'packzettel' was stapled to the trunk floor panels originally, not on the back side of the seat. I would say "no'' no Judge would have you remove a seat. But it is possible that they would do a full trunk inspection and remove the floor panels revealing this check list.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not knowing anything about the 'Pack Zettel" myself, I got interested and googled for images.
Unfortunately Google didn't produce any images, but I did find these nice posts from 2008 on our own website
Thread 'Packzettel' https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/packzettel.2419/
and https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/laufzettel.18640/

some elements from those posts, with input from Andreas and Julia from BMW (not sure even if means that's always right though):
- there was a small (14x8 cm) paper called the "Packzettel" with a 4 digit code on the firewall behind the rear seats; that showed the basic body variant: e.g. Region, auto vs manual. Based on the 'Packzettel' the workers on the line added country specific accesories such as the instruction manual.
I actually now start to think that realoem also gives you this exact code; called 'model code' there.
I also remember that members have found 4 digit numbers scribbled in pencil on the rear bulkhead (7001, 3441 for instance) - could they be the same numbers, but then not on a paper but directly on the painted body?

- Then another paper, the Laufzettel ( a "walking sheet") would show the line workers which colours and extra's (options) should be added when the car was proceeding (walking) down the assembly line. It contained coded information and was located under the rear seat according Julia

So @paul cain ; You have a massive dilemma on our hands.... where are you going to stick the paper?

my car would get the code 3432 from RealOem.com; I yet have to check if i also have any pencil marks on the rear bulkhead.
1716906422804.png

Last edited:

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not knowing anything about the 'Pack Zettel" myself, I got interested and googled for images.
Unfortunately Google didn't produce any images, but I did find this nice post from 2008 on our own website
Thread 'Packzettel' https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/packzettel.2419/

some elements from those posts, with input from Andreas from BMW (not sure even if that's always right though):
- there was a small paper called the "Packzettel" with a 4 digit code on the firewall behind the rear seats; that showed the basic body variant: e.g. Region, auto vs manual. Based on the 'Packzettel' the workers on the line added country specific accesories such as the instruction manual.
I actually now start to think that realoem also gives you this exact code; called 'model code' there.
I also remember that members have found 4 digit numbers scribbled in pencil on the rear bulkhead - could they be the same numbers, but then not on a paper but directly on the painted body?
- Then another paper, the Laufzettel ( a "walking sheet") would show the line workers which extra's (options) should be added when the car was proceeding (walking) down the assembly line. It was located under the rear seat.

So @paul cain ; You have a massive dilemma on our hands.... where are you going to stick the paper?
Eric, re: .......where are you going to stick the paper? That's easy. With the latest in laser printer technology, I'll do one in each location ;)

For anyone else interested in tricking the judges, attached is your own pdf copy of the Packzettel.

Attachments

• PACKZETTEL.pdf
    165.6 KB · Views: 49

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 89: Enter the 3.0 CS in a BMW Concours.

@HB Chris is one of the stalwart volunteers that organizes Huntington Beach's annual Concours. This year BMW was one of the featured marques, along with the Ford Mustang. (note the lower silhouette image).

Thank you to @HB Chris and his judging team for a very fun day with friends!

photo credit: Kyle Van Hoften June 2 2024

Attachments

• HB Concours 2.jpg
    HB Concours 2.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Project 89: Enter the 3.0 CS in a BMW Concours.

@HB Chris is one of the stalwart volunteers that organizes Huntington Beach's annual Concours. This year BMW was one of the featured marques, along with the Ford Mustang. (note the lower silhouette image).

Thank you to @HB Chris and his judging team for a very fun day with friends!

photo credit: Kyle Van Hoften June 2 2024
Congratulation! It’s hard to imagine any restored BMW that could score higher than your gorgeous fjord coupe.