First Annual Houston Coupe-Fest

jamesw

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if it was really the first but it was fun :) We had a gathering of 5 Houston coupes yesterday at my place in the Heights followed by some tasty tacos and then a not-so-good thunderstorm. But we did find a FANTASTIC location to get some group photos. I got a chance to see what a really nice coupe looks like so I have a target to aim for now.

Not sure what everyone's nickname is on here but I think I know 61porsche, bwana, but then there were 2 other cars - hopefully they will chime in!

Here are some photos - full gallery here:

http://reefpix.smugmug.com/Cars/Coupefest-2012

11H3726-XL.jpg

11H3732-XL.jpg

11H3704-XL.jpg

11H3718-XL.jpg

11H3734-XL.jpg

My car is the black one - the scruffiest of the bunch :)

Cheers
James

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
James,

thanks for sharing the pix - nice group. i presume that Jerry's (61porsche) car is the one with the old texas e9 front plate.

who bought the taiga from connecticut?

scott

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Getting together with other coupe owners is one of the best reasons to own a coupe. What a great setting for your photos too, thanks for posting.

61porsche

Reaction score
Mine's the arkitsblau in the middle or by the door of the firehouse.( I call it two shades of grey into naughtblau.) Right now I'm sanding 2nd primer on 61.

Taiga is LonestarZ- Dennis. He still has a polaris cs too.

Naughtblau w/ streamline Alpinas is Tor Taklo's

Bwana is working on his new Alpina airdam. Polaris

James's is black.

LonestarZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's HOT in Houston but the coupes are COOL

That old firehouse was a geat place for a photo shoot James. Thanks for hosting the meet. Good to see everyone again and good to see the cars. Sounds like we all want to keep working on our cars to make them better. You took some excelent pics. Here is the link to mine, a few different angles....

http://photobucket.com/2012HoustonCoupeFest

IMG_2129edit.jpg

Wasn't the first Coupe Meet in Houston, that was a few years ago in 2010. We had five cars then too. Was a leap of faith for me to get my CS there at the time, brakes needed TLC.

If you are in the Houston area and are on this forum, send me a PM with your email address and we'll let you know when we meet again.

Hey Scott, my Taiga is a CSi. Is the one from Connecticut the CS that was on eBay a while back? Anyone know who bought that car?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dennis,

it looks quite nice. the back spoiler was the same, or similar ... so i just assumed. from the original pics, i didn't know and couldn't tell cs vs. csi. don't know what happened to that car in CT.

we are going to try to get the atlanta gruppe together this fall. hopefully my travel will slow down.

best
scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
great pics, thanks for sharing, the Taiga is crazy cool but all very nice looking cars. My brother in law lives in the Heights around 13th and Cortlandt - let me know next time you guys get together-he's a coupe freak and am trying to get him to buy one and will send him over for some knowledge!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
back when i lived in houston - i lived at 911 harvard. a block east of heights blvd. that was the early 80's. always liked the heights. hopefully you guys took a spirited drive down Allen parkway.

jamesw

Reaction score
Small world! When I moved from Berkeley to Houston the Heights was the only place that felt remotely like home.

That firehouse belongs to the Heights Association and is on 12th between Heights and Yale.

Cheers
James

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Small world! When I moved from Berkeley to Houston the Heights was the only place that felt remotely like home.

That firehouse belongs to the Heights Association and is on 12th between Heights and Yale.

Cheers
James

i understand what you mean James - i had moved to Houston from New Orleans, and it was the part of town that fit. i remember the fire station - although it didn't look that good back then.

i hope to get back to Houston sometime this year, my wife's family still lives there ... and i am due for my Goode Company barbecue fix as well as a trip the original Ninfa's on Navigation. when i know i will be there, i will drop you guys a line and come see your coupes

cheers
scott

jamesw

Reaction score
Scott: please do! I haven't been to Goode Co in years.

Just make sure you come between October and May - don't want you to remember the _bad_ parts about living in Houston.

Cheers
James

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott: please do! I haven't been to Goode Co in years.

Just make sure you come between October and May - don't want you to remember the _bad_ parts about living in Houston.

Cheers
James

Like living inside a wet sponge. I was there from 1978 - 1981
First in the medical center then "way out" near Tomball
I do miss the Greek Festival and the Ice House on Westheimer...
Not the summer humidity or the loop traffic

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like living inside a wet sponge. I was there from 1978 - 1981
First in the medical center then "way out" near Tomball
I do miss the Greek Festival and the Ice House on Westheimer...
Not the summer humidity or the loop traffic

yes Stan, isn't that the truth. i grew up in south Louisiana, went to school in New Orleans and then moved to Houston (1980 to 1984) ... so the first 28 years of my life were in that 95% humidity stuff. i know it well, and i don't love it or miss it.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Houston

Many memories from Houston, lived there from 1973-1979, used to frequent Ninfa's often. In fact, wife is attending a girls weekend on Lake Conroe next weekend. Long ways from New Mexico.

LonestarZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
H-Town

One of the benefits of living in Houston is that we don't have to put our cars away for the winter. Down side is that we don't have close scenic places to drive and the traffic is horrendous. Lived here for 20 years and seen substantial growth North, West and South.

Surprising that you don't see a lot of old BMW's out on the roads even on good days. Houston is a big city, covers a lot of ground and has money. You see many newer cars of all sorts even the super cars, not so much the old ones. Maybe that's why I get so many "thumbs up" when driving the E9 Coupes or M635. I still think it funny that most folks don't know what the Coupes are even after they see the BMW badges. Just seems like a metro area like Houston would have a lot more Coupes here. Besides the 5 of us that got together we know of only 3 other guys. Still fun to get together even if we don't pack the house!

snj5

Reaction score
San Antonio is much the same - a lot of new expensive european cars, but very very few classics. Austin, however, seems to have a goodly subculture of classic cars.
I have only seen one CS in SAT in 7 years. I am doing my best to remedy that as my new little coupe is shipped here.