First Draft: 74 Changes

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those are in the parts book, aren't they the Alpina 6x14, same as Alpina 7x14? Recently still available from Walloth.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those are in the parts book, aren't they the Alpina 6x14, same as Alpina 7x14? Recently still available from Walloth.

No the 6x14 are what came on the 74’s. The lip is smaller. The 7x14 FPS look just like the CSL Alpinas but with 10 holes and the FPS logo.

Different part number, size, offset, and part number:
DAA9B9AB-08B1-4770-9833-476DB217204B.jpeg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
But you can’t trust the RealOEM application dates, they are all over the map.

I agree. I won’t hijack your thread with wheel nonsense. If the thread is spent then I will proceed with details as I find them.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m always interested in the details just like you.

Hi Chris,

Here is where I landed with this one. The orange books also have both discrete part numbers which makes sense. The orange books like realoem day they apply to all model ranges. I think that realoem is routinely off on the application information, but the start and stop date of the parts themselves seem accurate. I’ll dig into that later. I want to know how they determined that. I suspect that it is implied by purchasing the sequences BMW part info, which was released regularly. The introduction of a part and dropping of a part can imply start and stop. I could be way off but I do this type of implied start/stop logic in my line of work routinely.

Anyway, I can find a lot of 1973 literature with the 20 spoke wheels. The cars all have black wipers, and when visible horizontal pleats. They are all european catalogs. Most of the ‘73’s that I have seen with these wheels are CSI’s. I think that what I am seeing is the delta between the euro model year and the US model year.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled but I’m going to slow my roll. :D I haven’t been saving the brochures but I am happy to do so. Again the 3.3L is a great example that releases in ‘73 with these wheels, but by US standards was a ‘74.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Chris,
Anyway, I can find a lot of 1973 literature with the 20 spoke wheels. The cars all have black wipers, and when visible horizontal pleats. They are all european catalogs. Most of the ‘73’s that I have seen with these wheels are CSI’s. I think that what I am seeing is the delta between the euro model year and the US model year.

Which makes them Facelift coupes meaning post Aug 73, 74 model year.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice compilation!

I don’t know if the oddments tray access knob is worth mentioning. It is a notable ‘74 feature but I think the switch happened in ‘73. Thinking out loud, not stating as fact.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That changed before mid 73, mine has the black knob. It might be a 2800 vs. 3.0 thing.

Yeah I was pretty sure you would say that. It is one of those things worth knowing about a ‘74, but not special to the ‘74. There are lots of 3.0’s with the push button. My CSI was a ‘72 production with a ‘73 MY. It still had the push button, but the hazard was up near the ignition, and it had the seatbelt mounts in the roof. Helps to kind of gauge what was going on with a ‘73 at that time.

Also, I’m pretty sure that no e9 got the rubber wiper motor cover. Definitely present on the early e24’s. Not an e9 feature right?

Did you arrive at whether some ‘74’s got the plastic overflow tank? Seems to spotty to mention.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rubber cover is in the parts book but only came on the 74, don’t know if it was from the start. I posted a pic, they can melt a bit. Plastic tank may remain a mystery.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, I've gone down the proverbial rabbit hole now. More minor changes added to first post: Zeniths, Carbon filter, CSA trans dipstick, tension strut, pedal box/booster mount, brake/clutch pedals, radiator and lower hose, motor mount stop plates, coil and bracket. A research project only an anorak could love.