fitting this chrome bar

robbe e3

Reaction score
Hey all!

restauration is going good, fitting some chrome now.
I do need some advise!

It seems impossible to tighten number 4 on the photo of this link:
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/nl/search/selectCar/E3/Lim/BMW+3%2E0Si/ECE/51_3514
I bought some number 8's but when I was trying to put it on the car I noticed that i'll need to put a nut on the inside of the car to tighten it.

Now my question, how do you do this?
is there a simpeler way to do it? did I buyt the wrong parts?

also, hoping someone could help me out and tell me where I can find these:

51145480184​

have a nice day!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I will take my best guess and you can correct me where I have guessed wrong.

We are talking about fitting this piece?...

IMG_8590.JPG

Here is the picture from RealOEM
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 1.00.45 PM.png

#7 is a threaded pin whose head slips into the track behind the stainless steel strip. There are two per side. One in front and one in back.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 1.23.18 PM.png

The rear #7 is secured with #8 which is thumb screw but called "button" by RealOEM. If I shoot a picture where the arrow is pointed...

IMG_8589.JPG

...you can see the thumb screw...

IMG_8588.JPG

The front #7 is secured with #5 which is a cap nut....

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 1.07.46 PM.png

#6 and #10 (PN 51131802389) now come as a set from Wallothnesch. 2 per side. I believe these were separate PNs originally.

The part you are looking for (51145480184) is shown to secure the vertical trim piece on the C pillar above the stainless strip you are attaching. They appear to be NLA but also used in 1502-2002tii cars. Perhaps somebody has some used ones.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Dick. Do you have a photo of the part he needs. I have a box full of these molding connectors so it is possible that I have what he needs.
Thanks.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Unfortunately I could not find any. I just checked and Turner Motor Sports has them.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The alum piece is held on as dick showed, mine had 2 cap nuts and no thumb screw. I actually dropped my snap-on 1/4 drive behind the wheel well when doing it, never to be seen again despite fishing with my flex magnet.

The fastener in Dick's last post is for the vertical vent covers that are the color of the car. These are similar to the fasteners that hold the Cloisonne rondel to the pillars on an E9. You can reach the posts of the vertical vent cover from the other side only by pulling up the pillar covering/headliner. In lieu of all this, you can use a dab of 3M strip caulk which will hold it in place and also seal the hole. I do not know how well this will hold up when exposed to high temps for any length of time.