Five Speed Conversion for 73 E9

buddan

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to convert my auto transmission to a 5speed manual with a Getrag 265. I was reading the Carl Nelson instructions and wanted to ask you all if the Getrag 265 has to be off a pre 1982 car?

Also, any advise on where to get a Getrag 265?

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
All 265s are essentially the same. The reason he advises to use the earlier version is because of the mechanical speedo drive. '85 is the last year of the 265, and those cars got the speedo signal off of the differential(electric) and the mech speedo drive on the trans was closed off. If the only trans that you come across is from an '85, the speedo drive can be added. It's just easier to use a 265 that came already outfitted.
They are out there if you're patient. Just put a wanted post in the parts section in a few boards. I know someone who has one available if you can't find one.
Put your location in your wanted ad so local people can chime in. They're heavy, so shipping will add to your costs significantly.

Rangertom50

Reaction score
Looking for advice and help. The automatic transmission on my 1971 2800cs is shot. Won't go into reverse. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Getrag 240 5 speed transmission I found. It's from a 1984 318i coupe. Any body out there who knows if this would work?

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ranger Tom:

The early 318i is an M10 block, 2/3 of an M30 ;-)

I think you CAN use the Getrag 240, in a stock 2800 I don't see where there would be a durability problem. The power band / torque curve are at higher revs and a 2800 drives WAY different from a 3 liter or larger engine. That said, I have no idea what you'd do for flywheel/clutch pack, BUT a smaller flywheel would be a complement to the free-spinning nature of the stock 2800. Usually when people interchange they put the trans from a 6-cylinder into the E30, not the other way around :) I should go out in the yard and compare the bell housing bolt patterns...