Flasher Relay

72CS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has some advice on the following. My turn signal flasher repeater (in the dash) flashes two or three times then stops when I use the turn signal even though the exterior signal lights continues to work (the turn signal has not been cancelled). I checked the relay and the problem is definitely there, the signal just isn't comming from the relay. Oddly; when I use the hazzard switch the dashboard repeater functions normally. Thought I'd check before sourcing a replacement.

Anybody know where I can buy a flasher relay?

Cheers,

Me Too

Same problem here. I haven't investigated yet. You think it's in the relay? Probably get one from BMW/La Jolla/Autozone

I can't see what else the problem could be. From the wiring diagram the dashboard repeater light is wired directly to the relay.

I've ordered the flasher from my local dealer. I actually used the part number I found on Pelican Parts to order it since the part number I found on Real OEM seems to be special order from Germany (at least through the dealer). I should get it in a couple of days. I'll let you know if it works.

Hmmm, are sure the exterior lights are blinking while the dash light does not? I have seen the mode where both dash and external stay on solid and I think it has to do with how much load is in the circuit. The flasher with no load does not oscilate.
How about the click? Does it click while the turn signal is on?

Yup, both the exterior lights flash and the relay clicks, while the interior repeater lights a few times then goes out. Sometimes I get 2 or 3 flashes, sometimes none, today the light flashed a 5 to 10 times before going out.

You may have a point about the load on the circuit affecting things though, as that might expalin why when the hazard light is turned on the dashboard repeater flashes normally without going out. I think that maybe when the indicator lights stays on solid it's an indication that there is a burned out signal light.

Sometimes eratic behavior like this is caused by inconsistent bulb wattage i.e: left front signal is 3w and right is 5w...
Jon

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed all the bulbs and it definitely had a positive effect. The repeater now stays on all the time on one side and longer on the other, although it's still goes off after a while.

I may still go ahead and try a relay, maybe it will be less sensitive??

Cheers,

Fabio

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed all the bulbs and it definitely had a positive effect. The repeater now stays on all the time on one side and longer on the other, although it's still goes off after a while.

This is exactly the malfunction I had for the last years...

But since my turn signal does not go off with returning stearing wheel, I use the "keep in mind" method to always (almost...) switch off the turning light.

Hopefully with some help from this thread, the solution (electrical) is in a near future of this annoying malfunction :)

Fabio,
The description you wrote has me thinking that you still may have a bulb wattage issue on one side with a front bulb different than a rear bulb. Did you assure the wattages for each location of the new bulbs?

It seems the relay is probably OK since it cause the lights to click on and off from turn signal and hazard; correct?. You can test the relay when you pull it from the car.

Jon

I may still go ahead and try a relay, maybe it will be less sensitive??

Cheers,

Fabio

Turn signal return

There is an adjustment dimension on where the stalk/ switch is in relation to the canceling post on the steering mechanism according to the Bluebook.

I have the same issue and know for a fact the switch was changed by PO. It's on my list to fix too.

61Porsche

I as well had this issue for years and was only remedied when I replaced all bulbs, the relay AND the turn signal stalk. I could not figure out which finally fixed the problem but I believe it was the relay. Although as i remember i was sold a faulty new relay and had to go to another as well. It was an annoying problem that ultimately was solved with replacing basically all parts.

Thanks,

I put in a new relay and the repeater now stays on all the time on both sides. I only tried in the garage but it looks like the problem is solved. I would definitely recommend chanaging the bulbs first before going to the expense of changing the relay. In my case it looks like I did need a new relay though.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Cheers,

Well, my dashboard flasher finally bailed. No lights inside but the outside turn signals flash. I hear the relay clicking up in the left hand "glove box". I'm going to replace the relay, which one is it? I can't feel it clicking although I can hear it. The Real OEM diagrams are not clear.

Is it the really big black one directly above the hood release cable? Anybody have a part number or picture?

Yhanks!

This is a common problem on e9's and e3's and has been discussed on several threads here on the board. I solved the problem on my coupe by following the advice from one of those threads - I installed an electronic flasher that cost $13 at a Carquest store last fall. The Carquest p/n was 7312. Other manufacturer's numbers are: CEC EF33, NAPA EL13, BUSS 233.

Last edited:
Turn signal relay or hazard flasher relay?

Turn signal.

Yes, I've looked over most, if not all, of the related threads. However, none of them have the BMW part number for the turn signal relay, which kind of surprises me.

I put my question in this thread because I'm not bringing this up as a "new" issue, it's well known. I stuck it here because, using a search, it's the most likely place to find the part number from W&N or BMW (or so I thought). Not looking for something different, just looking to find the OEM relay

It's not obvious (at least to me) from Real OEM diagrams which it is

http://tinyurl.com/l2mxc5z
i think you will find a pic by bwana in the above thread?

just looking to find the OEM relay

Yes, brilliant! A clever fellow indeed! :lol: :lol:

The thread I was reading yesterday was linked to that but I hadn't got far enough to find the write up from the guy to pass the MOT with the resistor. Great info, on the program this weekend.

Thanks!

If outside lights are flashing but the interior indicator either flashes only a couple of times or not at all try this. This is a hybrid mechanical/electronic relay. You can gently remove the relay cover and you'll find a set of contacts inside, open the points and sand both contacts with 220 grit, it worked for me.

My own electrical mystery...help?

Digging into this thread to see if I can solve my own signal/relay issues, but I'm stuck. Sorry for the long, strange combination of symptoms, but if anyone has a clue here, I’d be grateful. I’ve checked the bulbs and connectors and contacts with no issues, and cleaned the turn signal relay contacts as best I can, but the following conditions persist. This is a recent development, post-restoration last spring:

Headlights on, ignition off:
Right rear tail light is dim and turn signal is on at same time, also dim.
Right front turn signal constant on, also dim
Left front turn signal is off
With Hazard lights flashing right rear tail light and turn signal blink (dimly) together; three remaining indicators blink normally

Ignition on, lights off:
Left turn signal operates normally front and back
Right turn signal operates normally in front, not at all in rear, and gauge indicator blinks once then stops; relay keeps ticking but not as loudly as left signal on
Rear right turn signal does not operate with hazard lights

Ignition on, lights on:
Left turn signals operate normally
Right rear turn signal blinks at half normal speed and half brightness
Right front turn signal blinks at normal brightness, but half normal speed
With hazards on right rear turn signal and tail light blink at normal speed but half brightness, together, in OPPOSITE PHASE from the other three corners

Brake lights work normally in all these combinations.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Andy

Last edited:
Back