Flickering brake warning light ....

Lowell Paddock

Site Donor
Reaction score
This just cropped up. Nothing has changed (other than it's been a little cold in the garage) -- foot brake and parking brake both working fine. Fluid level OK. Is this a known fault? Any suggestions appreciated!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recall that light doubles up as parking brake engaged and brake fluid level. I assume flickering does not mean intermittent... If flickering means barely coming on
I would suspect either the brake fluid sensor or float are failing, or the parking brake switch is shorting. My guess is that is it the brake fluid, willing to bet 9 dollars...

Lowell Paddock

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks -- correct on the triggers for the light. The light is just flickering randomly on and off. Pulling up the brake handle will make it glow steadily.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lift up the parking brake boot and jiggle the switch. And when reservoir float starts leaking it doesn’t make contact and can cause this as well.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recall that light doubles up as parking brake engaged and brake fluid level. I assume flickering does not mean intermittent... If flickering means barely coming on
I would suspect either the brake fluid sensor or float are failing, or the parking brake switch is shorting. My guess is that is it the brake fluid, willing to bet 9 dollars...

Oh my.....

Honolulu

Reaction score
In order of safety and easy access: if properly filling the brake/clutch fluid reservoir doesn't keep the light off, it's the parking brake switch under the rubber boot between the seats. It's just possible the switch, which is very simple, got bumped out of position and needs to be bent back with your fingers.