Fog Light Cutout

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Markos,

Sorry for the delay, here are the pictures for the fog light opening. As you can see this is a very slow restoration project. I really appreciate you letting me use your template.

Thanks,
Victor

Attachments

• IMG-3389.JPG
    IMG-3389.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG-3388.JPG
    IMG-3388.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG-3389.JPG
    IMG-3389.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG-3388.JPG
    IMG-3388.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 203

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Victor. I am not sure if you meant to make this a restoration thread or. it, but it is good to share the wealth. If anyone else wants to do a rear fog light we can send the template your way. It is currently on the east coast.

2D387FF4-B3EC-446E-93B1-2414270CECA5.jpeg

BF798F15-280C-4EFA-8669-0BCF0B07D39F.jpeg

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello;
I do want to make this a restoration thread, an I'm going to start by asking the help from this wonderful forum, I need to remove the dashboard on my 3.0cs , I don't know how to remove the plastic that surrounds the top of the instrument cluster, I know that this needs to come off before the long piece that is along the bottom of the windshield.
Thanks
Victor

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to write my experience regarding disassembling the tail lights. As you can see in the pictures, the left side was heavily pitted. I got a couple of estimates from two different chrome shops here in Houston and they were both around the same amount of $375 a piece. I mentioned this to one of my coworkers and he said that his brother in-law managed a plating shop which specializes in aerospace quality plating. Don't get me wrong this plating shop has been in business for over 20 years so the quality is there. The brother in-law agreed to chrome plate my tail light frames for $200 each. If anyone needs this service just let me know or PM me with your information. The only downside is that you'll have to ship your parts to my address and I'll have to take them to the plating shop. Here are some before and after pictures of the chrome plating.

Best regards,
Victor

Attachments

• IMG-3408.JPG
    IMG-3408.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG-3405.JPG
    IMG-3405.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG-3406.JPG
    IMG-3406.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG-3407.JPG
    IMG-3407.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG-3402.JPG
    IMG-3402.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG-3403.JPG
    IMG-3403.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG-3404.JPG
    IMG-3404.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 179

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Victor,

Honestly that price seems rather high to me. I haven't requested a quote on mine yet, but I plated a petri steering wheel for $250. It's about the same surface area as two tail housings IMO. You might want to check with @Tony.dreamer. He has trialed a number of chrome shops in the region, including a few in TX.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to write my experience regarding disassembling the tail lights. As you can see in the pictures, the left side was heavily pitted. I got a couple of estimates from two different chrome shops here in Houston and they were both around the same amount of $375 a piece. I mentioned this to one of my coworkers and he said that his brother in-law managed a plating shop which specializes in aerospace quality plating. Don't get me wrong this plating shop has been in business for over 20 years so the quality is there. The brother in-law agreed to chrome plate my tail light frames for $200 each. If anyone needs this service just let me know or PM me with your information. The only downside is that you'll have to ship your parts to my address and I'll have to take them to the plating shop. Here are some before and after pictures of the chrome plating.

Best regards,
Victor

very well done Victor,
do you know if the frame is a ferric or non ferric metal ?
subsequently is the process technically chroming or anodizing ?
thank you

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello de Quincey;
I was told that this material is called pewter some kind of alloy and very brittle.
The frames were triple chromed, the way the cover the pin holes is with copper and a lot of polishing.
Thank you all
Victor

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd be grateful to be able to use your template, Mark. Ping me when it's back in town.
Thanks! steve

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is a little embarrassing, I'm trying to remove the AC box in my car but it won't budge. Four Phillips screws have been removed, two in the back and two in the front. Also, two 8 mm bolts from the front and the AC lines have been disconnected. Is there anything that I'm missing? I read Marko's deconstruction thread as a guide but the part still won't come out.
Any help would be appreciated,
Victor

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You may want to post a separate thread on this for the people not paying attention to fog light cutouts

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is a little embarrassing, I'm trying to remove the AC box in my car but it won't budge. Four Phillips screws have been removed, two in the back and two in the front. Also, two 8 mm bolts from the front and the AC lines have been disconnected. Is there anything that I'm missing? I read Marko's deconstruction thread as a guide but the part still won't come out.
Any help would be appreciated,
Victor

Did you find the two 8mm at the base of the AC box, near the firewall? Also, the box has a drain so you need to lift it up about an inch.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI - My template is en route to AZ. If someone needs it afterwards let me know and I’ll have the recipient ship it directly to you. Thanks!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Best regards,
Victor
I will keep you in mind. Somehow I acquired 3 left side frames. Anyone want to swap?
I don't need to replace my tail lights but I think it would be a good idea to be prepared.

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stan, The outcome on the frames depends on how badly pitted they are, Glad to help, I can get you a price estimate if you like,
Victor