Foglights

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
fog lights

Here in the US you would "most likely" only see the under bumper rectangular fog lights on our coupes. That is a beautiful car but those fogs are huge, they look like Super Oscars, and that car also has other mods like mirror location on fenders and sunroof deflector. Just two cents from someone who has focused on keeping things original.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SHIMBIMMER said:
Questions:

a) what do you folks think of fog lights?

Best,
M

What is fog...?

Seriously, I have so much illumination since I upgraded to Hellas that the last thing I need is more light and additional load on cables.

There are five consecutive turns on the streets that lead home, coming back really late at night with the Hella brights on, I see a bunch of bedrooms in the houses at the intersections really light up. Folks think it is dawn and time to get up to work.

Stefan

Reaction score
My opinion is to skip the idea of any additional fog light. Any additional light on a stock (EU) E9 does not match the design. It's a car, not a christmas tree.....

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I think the rectangular fog lights on a pre 74 car does not match. If I were to have fog lights (which I will not) I would get the round above the bumper....a little smaller than the ones on the picture.\
IMHO
abe

SHIMBIMMER

Reaction score
Agreed

convinced - no need for the fog lights. kind of thought they looked interesting for a second. all opinions point to obvious...especially the"fog" in LA. LOL.

Cheers!

racerxx

Reaction score
Fog Lights

I like the look, and functionality, of the round above the bumper fog lights, and plan on adding them to my '73. They evoke the era of our cars, back then factory headlights were inadequate, especially for those that enjoyed spirited driving on twistys at night, hence the supplemental lighting. They were the "sporty", tough guy add ons of their day, along with small steering wheels with lighting holes.

John Raho
Westport, Connecticut

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a naive question. Why are these lights called fog lights? I was told the problem with fog is that it reflects the light back to the driver, these lights look like just more of the same in terms of the angle and so on. Unless they get so hot that they thermally dissolve the fog, what am I missing?

Tom M

Reaction score
There are 3 basic auxillary light patterns available. Fog, Driving and Spot. True Fog lights have a sharp vertical cut off and should be aimed such that the road and not the fog is illuminated. They should be used with the headlights off. Driving lights light up the road ahead far further than headlights and Spot or pencil beam lights have an even longer range although narrower pattern. Driving and Spot lights should never be used in oncoming traffic and Fogs should not be used in oncoming traffic when it is raining because they will reflect off the wet roadway and blind oncoming motorists.
click on the link and then beam types Oscar
http://www.cibieusa.com/cibie_aux_lighting.htm
The general public and it seems Detroit's automotive designers do not seem to know the different usages and all auxillary lights are thought to have the same function. That is, to have a random splatter beam pattern that blinds oncoming traffic. (But don't they make me look really cool?)