For Sale:1974 BMW 3.0CS E9 VIN #4310157 “Matching Numbers”

hanick

Reaction score
Seeking Advice:1974 BMW 3.0CS E9 VIN #4310157 “Matching Numbers”

UPDATE: SOLD

1974 BMW 3.0CS E9 VIN #4310157 “Matching Numbers”

Stonington, Connecticut USA 06378

Members:

Years ago I was a member of the BMW CS Register and in the BMW CCA CT Valley Club. I return to get your wisdom and benefit from your experience. I have decided to part with my 1974 BMW 3.0 CS E9 (375 made) which I have owned since 1989 with 92,943 miles. Manual 4 speed. No sunroof.

This vehicle was purchased new in July 1974 by Mrs. J. Miles of New York City and sold in October 1975 to Mr. S. Williams of Southbury, Connecticut for $12,500 with 7400 miles. Mr. Williams who was born in 1912 maintain and cared for the car for the next 14 years until I purchased it on February 6, 1989 with 78,106 miles for $10,000. I believe I have all the maintenance records.

The basic story is that after a lap around the track at Lime Rock Park with BMW CCA CT Valley drivers school, in 1990, almost 26 years ago I realized the driver’s door was misaligned and brought it to the body shop only to learn that behind the beautiful exterior skin of the Karmann built bodywas lurking cancer. For the next four years we undertook a major renovation of the entire chassis. I proceeded to use approximately $5000 I had in a secret (from my wife) bank account and more to purchase and install OEM parts from Germany, shipped in crates from Germany through Illuminessence Group Inc. of Santa Monica California. Many parts were also purchased through Maximillian Importing Company in Baltimore Maryland, including, right inner and outer front fender, left fender parts, right rear quarter, floor panels, emblems, seals, side mirrors, fender covers, the inner, middle, and outer rocker panels and more. My friend and body shop owner George, removed all the rust and the car was painted in the 1972 MB 280 SLnavy blue. Gorgeous. Headliner has no stains or tears. Not more than a ½ gal of plastic on the entire car. You will, of course, see surface rust in some of the pictures of the exposed interior, but there is NO ROT/RUST in the critical areas including the shock towers. It has a brand new windshield. The only remaining metal work is the attachment of the two outer rocker panels and spare tire holder bracket.

Then life took over - wife, children, house, the full catastrophe- and the E9 sat in storage for the next 22 years. I have not started it since. Manually turned it over a few times. When I retired the E9 the motor was smooth, solid and pulled strong, it did not burn, leak or smoke oil. The 4 speed manual transmission and clutch shifted well and the driveline was tight, even the Weber carburetors worked fine. In 1988 the air conditioner was cold. Only modification was the installation of an expensive Yamaha YCT-605 tuner, ADS amp and 6 speakers. Amazingly, I think I have almost all the parts (except the spare tire?) including many, many new ones with BMW’s part numbers still on them. The car will need a fresh coat of paint, some surface rust and paint separation on the bottom of the doors and a patch of clear coat damage on the hood. gas and brake lines, front seat leather, exhaust work and tires I imagine. The project is more than I am willing to undertake at this stage in my life. It has Clean and clear Connecticut title. It is available for viewing. I will assist with shipping arrangements.
Here is a link to a large photo file: BMW 3.0 cs

All of the photographs were taken this weekend 3/26/16 in Stonington Borough CT.

I welcome inspection by any forum members in the New England area. I am interested in your opinions on where I should market it and what I should sell it for. If at auction/Ebay what is my starting price and my reserve? On Craigslist what is my ask? What is it worth?Do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

I appreciate that this car has not been run in 27 years and that it needs to be put back together. If I were in the market for one, for the very first time, I know I would be tempted to pick one up that was running and think that I could handle the restoration down the line. However, knowing what I know now, except in very rare circumstances, under the Karmann skin are all the problems I discovered, and fixed with OEM parts when it was still possible to buy them and economically feasible to purchase them.
Thank you in advance.
Hal
[email protected]

Attachments

• 1974 3.0CS front.jpg
    1974 3.0CS front.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 1974 3.0CS Side1.jpg
    1974 3.0CS Side1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hal,

Glad we finally got you approved to join us. Hard to tell from photos what all of its needs are but the front fenders were not installed properly and part of the firewall panel was cut off at each end, an indication of less than stellar body work by George. The rest might be fine, I can't tell.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hal,

You have an interesting story, and a lot of pictures, but I'm not sure many people are certain of what the car looks like today. Could you either highlight in some way those pix that are exactly what someone would see if they dropped by tomorrow? Or, post others. I think that would give all of us who 'might' be able to assist in judging value a bit of needed information.

I bought a '74 that was fully restored in '87 and had the engine/trans upgraded significantly in '92, then driven infrequently for the past 10-15 years, from a fellow near Newport RI 10 months ago. This car was 'europeanized' in terms of bumpers, etc. when restored. It too is in a non OE BMW color. I can't find any significant rust on the car, even though I've been over, in, and under it for 10 months. I'm completely changing the interior, so I've seen lots of panels during that work. Making this comment, as I can communicate privately what I paid, and provide you pictures of this car for comparison. Please PM me your direct e-mail if you want to continue the 'conversation'.

Good luck with the sale. There are several people looking.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hal,

Glad we finally got you approved to join us. Hard to tell from photos what all of its needs are but the front fenders were not installed properly and part of the firewall panel was cut off at each end, an indication of less than stellar body work by George. The rest might be fine, I can't tell.

Is this the photo you're referring to?

JoyjEWtHGRb4wDBvC3jny6dP2MAPvzy5cEiiyluHtlo4W0SoA8TMQykOigZJJXkkX3yUPolVAcuo8etNLULlKcmNHls7mkk6WRWnimD7GXCK4jGT1aVVOCGoQ0ihv7mBT_nYxKqIHhEcnRZ9EBMHIwF_Lrkb1bXX3A_bS5Y-QB76qSnHbaE8Qa5yqXKuBJj8LYvLMprcUrj2SsV6ywc8l0Cx_U_VQjlPEgMgAh5mU67ZcQ95oIiGxd-Ld_rM5E7xWZGKCQ_BQ93zAM4tVCktlxMUWu1y9hlRIEabenDYtlsJVQ_5p70leyT89ni_z77ah2vE-Xd25edfT6unhHe-UK4P0ZTHs9uywaJG47nMY-dg_kGE5iZ9FpQBjWDxUjJqLl6XFL1u6YRx1fMkQMlK1BO9LixTSR_VF-EJsTFmtvKElQX4pIalqyN9m71VKXafLTNGhhShV13kA3zz0iU1NNaPCfrP1P2n4LX1_xT2AjfIWozB_qQ8ZnQfOTLEPO9nnJ2_G5qMjw5NMU5Suep6T8uMz_r3A9nTlXUkh1lxj9QGJMo6pu-KgvdExLXc0UAD21F1=w1542-h867-no

hanick

Reaction score
Gary
Thank you. All of the photographs were taken this weekend 3/26/16 in Stonington Borough CT. The Car has been in that same spot under a car cover for years. I will pm you to follow up on the conversation. Hal

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hal,

Thank you for the clarification on the pictures and for your e-mail. I hadn't understood from the introductory post that it is really a partly done project car.

I see it may have some parts missing (saw only one front door ash tray for example). It would be helpful to know if there are others missing as well.

hanick

Reaction score
Gary
Thank you. You are absolutely correct, this is a "project". In 1990 we remove the interior and trim, assessed and addressed the cancer, and painted the car. I have never touched the mechanicals except to remove the one stuck caliper you see in the pictures. We were in the process of putting the E9 back together when life intervened. I believe, after laying everything out for pictures over the weekend, but of course cannot pledge, that all the parts are there including the 2 new outer rocker panels and a few other miscellaneous, smaller OEM body parts. I am not sure where they belong without looking at a schematic. The only exception is the spare tire and Jack. I have no idea where they are and I am still looking for them. The pictures which we took last Saturday of the car in storage and all the interior and exterior parts reflect everything I have. I could certainly take more close-ups. For example I do recall that all the ashtrays are there. I assume any serious buyer would take a firsthand look.

I remain interested in the price range our members think I should list this car. People are asking and I have no idea where I should start.
Hal

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Looking at your project of a 74 car. I would say 3-5k to the right buyer. Problem is,it's all apart and makes it a harder project because you don't know the best way to put it back together. I would place on ebay and see what happens? GLWS.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking at your project of a 74 car. I would say 3-5k to the right buyer. Problem is,it's all apart and makes it a harder project because you don't know the best way to put it back together. I would place on ebay and see what happens? GLWS.

3-5K? I'll take two....maybe for a starting price on Ebay but I think he is looking for more of a realistic value for his car, no? Like a CL or BIN price so he feels comfortable not being under or overvalued by too much.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hanick, Hi, sorry to chime in late in the game- I do a little rebuilding here on the forum and based on what I have seen I will offer you 6,500 and come and get it- It will give me a good reason to visit CT as my family lives there. Sorry to come out of the blue with the offer but I'm sure I could have some fun with it and I probably have a couple of folks down here in Austin that would like to participate in the build. Other than that I can tell you it will get driven and the project will get finished :)

Please send a PM if I have not completely pi$$ed you off-

Thanks!

Peter

tmason

Reaction score
Not an easy job to weld in rockers is why I estimated it low.
You got a bid if nothing else. Good Luck.

hanick

Reaction score
Not an easy job to weld in rockers is why I estimated it low.
You got a bid if nothing else. Good Luck.
Thank you. Of course without the two outer rockers attached it is easier to confirm there is not rot in there. Yes?
I have been looking closely at the sold cars on Ebay. They say no rust but all the telltales are there. Amazing what you find on these cars when you peel the outer layer off as we did. Frightening.
Hanick