For Sale: '74 3.0CS - San Francisco

Misterchinn

Reaction score
****THIS CAR HAS BEEN SOLD**** Thanks for looking.

Well... got the news a few weeks ago... my wife and I are expecting our first child... which is a great thing... BUT... we live in San Francisco, we have a one car garage, and street parking is tough. So something has to give... and I'm afraid the coupe needs to go to make room for a family friendly car. I don't need to tell you, that I've put more money into this car than I intended to and would love to keep it, but it's just not practical for my stage of life. I'm actually pretty sad to be writing this ad...

Here are some details: (email if you need more info)

1974 BMW 3.0CS $9,800

Pictures at: http://galileoweb.org/chinnc/old-pages/1974-3-0cs/

American car retrofitted with Euro Bumpers. Mileage ~158K (odo reads 58,200), based on general wear (i.e. pedals, carpet, engine...) it looks like 155k is about right.

Color was originally Granatrot Metallic. It's been repainted, to a non-metallic similar color about 4 years ago. A/C equipped, but isn’t functioning. Power windows, mirrors and sunroof (see below).

Original owner was in Northern California (based on a receipt I found) . I heard he passed away. His son took over the car... but lost all the paperwork. After about 3 years, he sold the car to a guy who then moved it to Massachusetts. This owner only had it for about a year and only drove it about 500 miles, but put lots of work into it (see list). I bought it from him in '07, and had it shipped back out here. So I ONLY have paper work from the last 2.5 years. All work here done at A-1 Auto Imports in San Rafael.

Previous owner put in (partial list): (these parts have about 2000 miles on them)
• Dual Weber down draft carbs
• K&N filters and chrome housings
• Crane solid state ignition
• Petronix ignitor performance ignition coil
• BMW high performance spark plug wires
• Bosch plugs
• New distributor cap
• New muffler
• Suspension etc:
• All suspension upgrades were purchased from CSI inc.
• New Toyo touring radials
• High performance sway bars
• Progressive rate lowering sport springs from
• Urethane bushings
• New KYB shocks and struts all around
• New idler arm bushing
• Original wheels were media blasted and refinished.

I put in (these parts have less than 500 miles on them), work done by JP at A-1 Auto Imports in San Rafael.
• A 5spd transmission from a '80 528i.
• New drive shaft/flexjoint.
• New Clutch/slave cylinder
• New Fan clutch and fan
• New Starter
• New Radiator/thermostat
• New Battery and connectors

Problems I know about:
• It doesn't have a headliner installed, but I have the material, ready to install. The sunroof isn't working as of now, but the motor works and I have all the parts.
• The left rear tire has a slow leak.
• It has a slow engine oil leak somewhere.... The differential leaks oil at the drive shaft.
• It’s AC isn’t working and is disconnected.
• It had an accident, from behind. The gas tank has a dent. It looks like there's was some body damage, so possible bondo in the rear, but it looks straight as far as I can tell.

There's NO rust that I know of, and we've looked for rust with the car on the lift a few times.
The engine, starts up every time and is strong and car rides really well. Handling is good. The 5 spd really cruises. The clock works! Tool kit has about 75% of the tools. The leather interior is in quite good shape, wood could use a little TLC but I think the wood still looks nice. Walnut steering wheel, made by Raid. CD player and speakers installed by previous owner.

Also comes with the factory Blue Repair Binders. A set of 4 extra wheels (14" Radial pattern wannabe's). Some other random stuff in trunk, the best being an all chrome kidney bean grill.

$9,800

Last edited:

Misterchinn

Reaction score
FYI: The VIN number is 4310377. Plate matches the stamp on chassis.

I've had some picture requests for: shot of the dent on fuel tank, inside of the roof of car/sunroof with missing headliner, vin plate. I'll include pics of the other imperfections, so there are no surprises. Any other requests? You can email at: [email protected]

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Can do Mr. Chinn, although how about a few beauty shots present day just to see how that very expensive garage (SF) has held her color?
Planning another visit San Rafael to give thanks that I only own one BMW Coupe at present!

lol!

Cheers?

PS How was the wine?

Ran

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I spoke directly with JP today and you may wish to telephone me so we can discuss this further...same info. sent to you viq email this afternoon with my phone number attached.

No additional word from BMW as of yet.

Regards,

Ran

Misterchinn

Reaction score
*sold*

This car has been sold to a gentleman in Georgia who has plans on taking it to Denmark. Congrats L.K.P. I hope you enjoy your new coupe!

To the rest of the E9 forum. Thanks for years of information, insight and humor. This is a great forum for a great set of cars.