For Sale: Italian Delivery 1974 CSi 4300085

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The BMW 4300085 was Manufactured Nov. 14 1973. Delivered to an Italian dealer Dec. 6 1973, paint code Polaris 060.

Exterior:
Rear panel fog light, chrome exhaust tip, license plate lights in the bumper, complete original clamshell and tools with no cracks or broken tabs. Trunk carpet matches the interior carpet, cut by my upholster & original elephant skin, overall excellent condition.

Interior:
Black leather seats with one small tear in driver side bolster, overall, very good condition with matching black door panels. Original headliner has one small spot midway back when I bought the car. Dash vinyl has been redone and door wood in good condition, Nardi steering wheel, original speaker grill, clock works and newly reconditioned. Everything else works, rechargeable flashlight in hood release panel, battery is long dead of course.

Period Blaupunkt is not hooked up, includes the brochure. No speakers on parcel shelf or in kick panels. Leather boot for emergency brake handle & zippered shift lever leather boot. The glove box flocking is excellent. There is no rust at the back of the glove box. HV controls are in German, speedo is in KM, gauges and all telltale lights work. Light on the steering column by ignition key it sort of lights HV controls.

Exterior:
Polaris is an older respray in good condition. Chrome is good + condition. Nickel plated chrome grills and fender vents are excellent. Five bar chrome kidney grill. Roundels are in good condition. Slim Euro front turn signals the front reflectors have been removed, the lighted rear side lights remained. Also has the original CS Registry badge and window decals.

Mechanical:
1984 533i, 3.3 liter, motronic engine running the original 1973 D-Jet injection. #7 curley cam, 8.5 compression. Valve settings are .012 in exhaust and intake. Engine will not run cool. Has a new battery & a rebuilt alternator.

265 5-speed with a rear LSD 3.64. Adjustable Koni shocks and thick sway bars. The custom exhaust is fed by Stahl headers & the distributor has a Pertronix. Carl Nelson lowerig springs.

Included are the Italian owner's manual and factory brochures. Two volume blue binder shop manuals. An original 3.0 CS sales brochure plus magazines & two books about BMW & the coupe. Complete set of paper CS Registry Newsletters & early BMWCCA Roundel newsletters.

Parts included:
The D-Jet ECU, a BMW CCA fitted car cover, a separate cotton car cover, custom fitted seat covers, the original wood shifter knob with Roundel, one piece of a door gasket set plus drawer full of various hoses both new & old.

Needs:
Motor for the windshield washer tank. Based on photos and a visual inspection the car needs the rocker panels replaced. Nothing else has anything even close to serious rust, mostly surface rust.

Asking $60,000

I respond to emails: [email protected]
Phone: (215) 620-7867

Please see photos in this link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgVxUNC8xkipn3O2iJzipZ1i6FBk?e=B9Tk3f

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The BMW 4300085 was Manufactured Nov. 14 1973. Delivered to an Italian dealer Dec. 6 1973, paint code Polaris 060.

Exterior:
Rear panel fog light, chrome exhaust tip, license plate lights in the bumper, complete original clamshell and tools with no cracks or broken tabs. Trunk carpet matches the interior carpet, cut by my upholster & original elephant skin, overall excellent condition.

Interior:
Black leather seats with one small tear in driver side bolster, overall, very good condition with matching black door panels. Original headliner has one small spot midway back when I bought the car. Dash vinyl has been redone and door wood in good condition, Nardi steering wheel, original speaker grill, clock works and newly reconditioned. Everything else works, rechargeable flashlight in hood release panel, battery is long dead of course.

Period Blaupunkt is not hooked up, includes the brochure. No speakers on parcel shelf or in kick panels. Leather boot for emergency brake handle & zippered shift lever leather boot. The glove box flocking is excellent. There is no rust at the back of the glove box. HV controls are in German, speedo is in KM, gauges and all telltale lights work. Light on the steering column by ignition key it sort of lights HV controls.

Exterior:
Polaris is an older respray in good condition. Chrome is good + condition. Nickel plated chrome grills and fender vents are excellent. Five bar chrome kidney grill. Roundels are in good condition. Slim Euro front turn signals the front reflectors have been removed, the lighted rear side lights remained. Also has the original CS Registry badge and window decals.

Mechanical:
1984 533i, 3.3 liter, motronic engine running the original 1973 D-Jet injection. #7 curley cam, 8.5 compression. Valve settings are .012 in exhaust and intake. Engine will not run cool. Has a new battery & a rebuilt alternator.

265 5-speed with a rear LSD 3.64. Adjustable Koni shocks and thick sway bars. The custom exhaust is fed by Stahl headers & the distributor has a Pertronix.

Included are the Italian owner's manual and factory brochures. Two volume blue binder shop manuals. An original 3.0 CS sales brochure plus magazines & two books about BMW & the coupe. Complete set of paper CS Registry Newsletters & early BMWCCA Roundel newsletters.

Parts included:
The D-Jet ECU, a BMW CCA fitted car cover, a separate cotton car cover, custom fitted seat covers, the original wood shifter knob with Roundel, one piece of a door gasket set plus drawer full of various hoses both new & old.

Needs:
Motor for the windshield washer tank. Based on photos and a visual inspection the car needs the rocker panels replaced. Nothing else has anything even close to serious rust, mostly surface rust.

Asking $60,000

I respond to emails: [email protected]
Phone: (215) 620-7867

Please see photos in this link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgVxUNC8xkipn3O2iJzipZ1i6FBk?e=B9Tk3f
Steve, I thought you'd never sell. It's the end of an era. I hope everything is okay.
My best, to you and towards the sale.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is a nice car. I saw it about a year ago at the New Hope Auto Show. Steve got the 1st place award in the BMW coupe group. I did not thoroughly examine it, as I already had an e9. It appeared to be primarily an original car with little or no restoration. Steve is a great guy, and I'm confident his representation of the car is accurate. The pictures show some rust, but I doubt there is anything very serious.

Sorry to see you sell it after all these years Steve. Hope all is OK.

Gary

PS: On closer examination of the pix, I think Steve is wrong about the shocks. Rears are certainly Bilstein. Fronts - who knows, as there is no color shown. Yellow shocks are usually Bilstein, Red shocks usually Koni, Blacks usually Boge, which I think were OE.

This may be a quite rare production model, as I don't recall seeing a CSI with 430VIN before. Lots of 434 and 435's for CSI's. The seats are the '73 and earlier design for US cars, at least. Wonder why they would be a different design for Italian cars.

Last edited:

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Curious if those are the original (74+) door cards or if they were switched out for earlier ones to match the early seats? On a second look, was this a blue interior car at one point that got a complete, early black interior along the way? IMO, the 2nd series CSi's are the best of the bunch... good luck with the sale.

Last edited:

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Curious if those are the original (74+) door cards or if they were switched out for earlier ones to match the early seats? On a second look, was this a blue interior car at one point that got a complete, early black interior along the way? IMO, the 2nd series CSi's are the best of the bunch... good luck with the sale.

Interesting. my car was built a month later…but is a facelift car. I guess BMW must have had a cut off date for old vs facelift but such close build dates makes me wonder how BMW designated what was what?!

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have known this car, and its driver, for 21 years. The pictures are current and represent the car's condition accurately, which is excellent. As for serious rust, there isn't any--notice the pics with the coupe up in the air on a lift ( I don't have the courage to do that with my '74.) It is a beautiful car, well-maintained and adored by Steve. It will be a good purchase by a lucky person.

One thing he didn't mention: the car has Carl Nelson's lowering springs installed.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting. my car was built a month later…but is a facelift car. I guess BMW must have had a cut off date for old vs facelift but such close build dates makes me wonder how BMW designated what was what?!
What is a facelift?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bill,

Re facelift: The interior and several other things were quite different in the '74 models (at least for US). The '74's had no tool box on the right side of the trunk, have extended reinforcement on the back of the rear fender wells, and quite a few other minor modifications (and of course the diving board bumpers on USA spec cars).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rest of World facelift coupes did not get US reinforcements like we did. Everything else is straight 74 model year.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seats are the '73 and earlier design for US cars, at least. Wonder why they would be a different design for Italian cars.

That's what's confusing me too. The car's build date is Nov 73, but the seats are for a 73 or earlier model....maybe the cut off for models was Dec (mine was built Dec 73 and is 74 model car)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
430xxxx is a Rest of World (ROW) 3.0CS facelift model, Steve check your VIN again. Any VIN beginning with a 4 is a facelift model and had all of their features.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just opened the post to find some serious comments. Thanks to all of you. Deeply appreciated.

The car was a 3.0CS with a blue velour interior. I purchased a 73 CSi parts car that had a dark gray velour interior, one of my favorite colors and materials. Woe is me, the seats were a mouse condo. But the guy threw in tan leather seats. Sold the blue velour, installed the tan leather and the black door cards from the '73, had my upholsterer dye the leather black. So a hybrid interior that goes with the Polaris. This should explain the VIN discrepancies that you experts have found. The D-Jet keeps the stock appearance I have always

As "Autokunst" says above, I thought I would never sell my coupe too. But I am 79, done everything I dreamed of doing with my coupe and more, owned four Bavarias and four coupes in various states of being, but just not driving my coupe as much as I should. So the time has come to pass it on to a new steward, someone with the passion and the love that I had lo those many years ago. Ah, sweet bird of youth.

I started my love affair with BMW's in 1971 with the purchase of a new(the only new one ever) 1600. Took it on a 12,000 mile road trip across Canada, down the Coast Road, home through New Orleans to PA. Back in January my wife happened to look at a very original 1600 I was looking at on line. She commented on how lovely it looked. I took that as a hint she wanted one, so I started a search. Put a post here that I was looking for a 2002 with automatic, and ac. The ac is for our torrid, longer summers so that I can drive the car in three seasons at least. Up pops JMinNJ with his 1976, Chaminox, automatic and ac and 78,000 miles. Yes, 78k confirmed by my mechanic and two tii owners. So we are still blessed to have a classic BMW in our possession. Diving boards went first, added ST sway bars, Jim had already added Shocks, a Weber and a Pertronix. esty did front, rear and trunk carpet mats to protect the original carpet. Perhaps a five-speed down the road. That wonderful long and ever winding road.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, that explains the interior and few other items... a blue velour interior would be what I would have expected on this car originally.

2nd gen Coupes are great cars for so many reasons.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. Most Euro cars had the velour, and blue was certainly the most common with silver exterior. The black goes well with that exterior, and now we understand why it has the earlier upholstery pattern.

Do I understand correctly that this was a 3.0CS when sold in Italy, and the engine/injection/D-jet was added in '84? The CSi label is fine for the trunk, but if my understanding is correct, then I believe it should be advertised as an upgraded CS, not as a CSi.

I clearly understand the 'age' thing. That was part of the reason I sold my '74 last fall. Being 82 at the time, I had also quit buying green bananas.

GLWS

Gary

Last edited:

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill,

Re facelift: The interior and several other things were quite different in the '74 models (at least for US). The '74's had no tool box on the right side of the trunk, have extended reinforcement on the back of the rear fender wells, and quite a few other minor modifications (and of course the diving board bumpers on USA spec cars).
I see now, thought it referred to exterior changes. I have a '74, very familiar with all the changes which make it difficult to get certain parts (e.g. elephant skin) everyone else can get. Thanks.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary,
I like your closing line. When anyone contacts me directly I will clarify the CS/CSi designation.