Foreign invader Monterey questions

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a repeat of the question I asked on the Monterey sticky.

Coming from Australia to visit Monterey during the big week and would like to ask of those who have been before, as I haven't -

The best places to stay. Budget up to $700 pn. Equivalent to $1000 AU since our dollar tanked.
Getting around, i.e. public transport or cabs. I will probably rent a car out of San Francisco but I imagine the town will be impossible for parking.
The best event/s. I am flexible and though the Concours on Sunday is the main event it may not necessarily be the best, especially as I'm only 5'6" and don't fancy crowds ten deep around every car.
Anything else you can help me with.

Thanks, Gazz

jmackro

Reaction score
A book could be written on how to get around Monterey. In fact, a pamphlet is published each year by "Sports Car Market" and included with one of the early summer issues. You might try getting hold of one of those.

Addressing a few of your questions:

Getting around: Forget public transit. Driving and parking isn't that bad, though you want to get to events early.

Events: The Sunday P.B. Concours is amazing. But yes, by mid-morning it becomes uncomfortably packed. Get there before sunrise.

Some of the mid-week events are lower-key: Concours on the Avenue (Tuesday), practice at Laguna Seca, P.B. Tour on Thursday (but along the route, not the start or lunch break, which are crowded).

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does Monterrey have an early entry option? for the last 2 years at Amelia, we had early entry tickets that let us in while some things were being finalized (about an hour early) ... that allowed us to see many things without the throngs of people

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lodging is always a challenge however with your budget you should be able to find something on VRBO.com; just be careful of scams and pay up front BS. I would look in to staying at Pacific Grove, Carmel, or Monterey. Seaside and the other cities can either be too far or a bit lacking in decent accommodations.

I would definitely rent a car, as Jay points out there always seems to be parking even if you have to walk a few blocks.

www.montereycarweek.com this site still needs to be updated for 2016. They will list all the events that are happening throughout the week.

Best of luck,
Mike

MPowerE9

Reaction score
For transportation anywhere in Northern CA....you might want to use Uber as an option. No need to deal with parking and IMO, more efficient than a taxi or bus, etc.

Just download the uber app and you'll have a car service at your fingertips.

jmackro

Reaction score
Does Monterrey have an early entry option?

Not sure what you mean by "Monterrey".

Pebble Beach opens its gates at dawn, though I'm not sure you can buy a ticket that early (e.g., you need to have it already). It's fun watching the cars pull onto the field, Haggerty gives out coffee & donuts and you're there before it becomes crowded. You need to be creative about parking, as the shuttles from the outlying lots probably aren't running at that hour. Just be sure to dress warmly!

OCCoupe said:
Lodging is always a challenge...

Hotels do increase their rates for that week. But the bigger problem is that many impose a 4 or 5 night minimum stay. So unless you plan to make a week of it, you might have to pay for nights that you can't use.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
My advice

You can watch the cars come onto the lawn before the sun comes up. If you are only going to do it once, do this and and drink a lot of coffee. Hagerty Insurance sponsors the Dawn Patrol and they have coffee and donuts for everyone, as well as free ball caps (but there is usually quite a scrap to get one).

You do not need a special ticket to get in early per se. However, this event takes place before the shuttles run from Carmel etc. Pebble Beach has very limited parking, and I think the demand for Uber cars at 5am will outstrip the supply. But in general, Uber is a great idea. SO that is toughie.

You can pay extra and get a Club Concours ticket, which gets you a good parking pass and some special food at the Concours. This assures that you will have a good place to park for the Dawn Patrol.

Overall there are so many events it is impossible to do it all. The traffic can suck, but it is worth it.

If you can find a room in Carmel at this late juncture, it is totally worth it. The town is charming and walkable and has some good food. There is a nice cafe called Dametra IIRC. You want to be in Carmel by the Sea, which is the village and is walkable. Carmel Valley and Carmel Highlands are OK, but you have to drive everywhere. We have stayed in a B and B in Carmel by the Sea and last year we rented a house in Carmel Meadows through vrbo.com. 900 per night, but we had five people.

Thursday is the tour with most of the Concours cars driving in it. Great to watch, it's free, and they finish in downtown Carmel.

I am going this year with a buddy, and we are staying in Pacific Grove at a cheaper place since my wife is not coming.

Scott

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
More

Events to hit

Legends of the Autobahn--free!

Concorso Italiano--not free!

A day at the track--not free

PB CONCOURS.

Also, look at the Sports Car Market website for their seminar held in the Gooding tent prior to the Gooding auction. Good speakers and knowledgeable people take you around to look at the cars. I followed Miles Collier (a high American collector--the Revs Institute) around one day as he talked about various cars on offer.

EJ333

Reaction score
I've stayed at Carmel Valley Ranch before and really enjoyed it. They have a golf course, if you would like to play during your stay.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay this newb has left it too late to book accommodation in Carmel or Monterey. Prices are berserk and no availability. I suppose a hamburger is $40 on the Sunday and then $5.95 on Monday, just like the hotel rates.
So, given that I will be hiring a car out of San Francisco where's a decent place to stay within say 60 minutes drive from Carmel? I have made a tentative booking in Santa Cruz with a plan to make the 1 hour plus drive in to Pebble Beach on Sunday.

Or would I be better off just making the drive from SF leaving very early on the day?

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Santa Cruz better

You could also see if anything is available in Salinas--lots of people stay there too.

Look at everything in Pacific Grove on hotels.com and tripadvisor also.

Scott

jmackro

Reaction score
Or would I be better off just making the drive from SF leaving very early on the day?

Staying in San Francisco is unrealistic - it takes quite awhile to get from SF to Carmel. And since many people drive down from the Bay Area, you will be fighting traffic. Salinas is a better idea - and it is convenient to Laguna Seca.

italiangerman

Site Donor
Reaction score
car week

I would call this a must..........if you are coming all that way you have to drive down Pacific Coast Highway (US1) at least to Big Sur. Even in rental Nissan Altima it will measure up to all the beautifully shaped rolled sheet metal and carbon fiber on display during Car Week and the BMW festivities to follow.
The entire affair is over the top enjoyable.
PS. If you go to the Mission Inn for dinner you have about a 20% chance of rubbing elbows with the proprietor, Clint Eastwood.
Hope you have a great time!!

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
Made a booking in Salinas at the Hampton Inn. #1 on Tripadvisor and good reviews. Surprised I could get in considering lesser reviewed places in Salinas are full.
25 mins drive to Pebble not so bad.
Better order my navy blazer ( gold button double breasted of course ), camel slacks, loafers, pale pink shirt ( should I go solid or striped? ), platinum silk tie and Panama.
Now to find a parking space on the day where I won't be spotted as a pretender with my Nissan Altima hire car.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
...you might be able to borrow Warwick Capper's leopard print suit Gazz

Just thinking about it makes me nauseous.