Forum Trashes Bmw Owner Who Had M3 Delivered In Wrong Shade Of Blue

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Totally on B Thumper's side. He is an enthusiast who ordered something special. He should get it.

Last edited:

rb1971

Reaction score
I read Jalopnik and remember when this was posted and even commented then. It's nice when you read back over you old comments and still agree with them! I thought the guy went off the rails a bit when he started complaining about his vacation being ruined - come on! Maybe a little disappointment is in order but "ruined"?

Here was my post at Jalopnik:

"I can sympathize here. BMW is a luxury brand making luxury cars, and they were happy to take (a lot of) this guy's money for a special custom job. In that case, it's their responsibility to do it right. If they had no custom program, or didn't accept his particular combination - as they didn't several times - then also no problem. But once they take the money, they are on the hook for the right car with the right options.

Seems like it would be pretty easy for BMW to lean on their interior supplier and get the right thing built quickly, unless that supplier has already started winding down production.

If it were me, by the way (noting in advance that I loath this type of interior but whatevs), and the right interior in the right car was totally impossible as a matter of logistics, I'd try to get the right exterior color, something individual on the interior (at no cost) so you've still got the "special" version, and maybe whatever options are available but not ordered, or available on the individual cars, for free or at a discount.

Where I disagree is the idea that BMW somehow owes him compensation for part of his EU delivery experience or that it was the "wrong vacation". Sure, it sucks that you didn't get to drive your car on the 'Ring, and I'd be irritated too, but BMW actually seemed to handle that part pretty well. I assume there are one-off cases where the car is not ready when the person shows up and I doubt they get as good treatment. Plus, you could just thrash the crap out of the car they actually let you drive with no personal downside."

m73

Reaction score
I would not take any sides here, but here is my take:

On one hand, stuff happens in life and you deal with it. End of story.

On the other hand....this gentleman entered an agreement with BMW that was not fulfilled. That plus the fact that trust was compromised leads me to believe that not only does BMW have a contractual obligation, but they are responsible for some of the factors leading in to and around said incident.

But at the risk of making BMW uber responsible, there should always be an opt-out clause. Where even by paying a penalty, all sides can move on ( maybe that was what the vacation was about?)

Reputation and trust were tarnished here. That and the fact that BMW must continue doing business means that such a matter should be handled with the utmost grace and not the opposite.

If I were BMW (which I am not). I would have refunded all money (including trip) and if I could not replace the said car, then offered up some sort of penalty for the failed promise. Another option would be to offer up any other car on the BMW range pro-bono.

Customer service has changed a lot in my time and I hope it does not change again for the worse.

That's my take. I hope all sides can come to peace with what has happened...and learn to avoid future mistakes.

MF

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The smart money; IMHO, Mr. Thumper offered BMW a priceless advertising opportunity! We're talking one guy and a special car; How about "We'll make your car right, exactly the way you want it, here is the wrong car- run it around and have a great time, we'll pay for the entire vacation, and fly you out to inspect your new car when it's ready and then pay for the shipment of you and the car back home, while you're here how about a private tour of the factory... etc". Cost of this vacation: 10-15K, Mr. T returns home with glowing stories about the experience, how much BMW cares about its clients, what a great experience-takes tons of photos. This goes viral on the web- BMW gets millions in free advertising.

Stupid is as stupid does- Shame on BMW for not seizing a priceless opportunity- Mr. T's issue is monetarily inconsequential to BMW.

But now we have to think about the mental capabilities of those who are constructing the Ultimate Driving Machines.

Robertsocal

Reaction score
BMW is big business and I am not shocked, though the comments about an oppurtunity to get good publicity and build faith are very true.

Those of you on here that have carried the torch for the history of BMW, maintaining and showing these beautiful cars that put them on the map and saved BMW should understand better than any.

I do not see them making any parts available in return! I mean really, could I not just get a power steering hose without having to have it built!

I think you guys who have been running this site and doing all you do to help everyone should be getting royalties from BMW. Maybe then we wouldnt look like old ladies at a sale fighting over who gets a stereo knob.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the tech section of a recent Roundel it was recommended you DO NOT want to own a new BMW out of warranty. For me that says it all about, "The Ultimate Driving Machine"
and the people running the company.