found elephant skin

Elephant Hide

dQ,

I would take up to 10 meters depending on the price. I'm sure you know this is available again from BMW.

Regards, Jon

Ives, I have seen what is once again available from BMW. Thinner, without most of the "grain" and some holes do not match up. Anyone familiar with the original can see the difference immediately.

Recent Elephant Skin Experience

Ives, I have seen what is once again available from BMW. Thinner, without most of the "grain" and some holes do not match up. Anyone familiar with the original can see the difference immediately.
Oniels,

I recently made a full set of trunk boards and used the BMW product to cover them and was very happy with the quality of the skin and the texture. It is not as brittle and dusty as the 40 year old skins but when I compare it now with the skin in my Sahara, which is original, I can't tell any difference between them. I think once I install them in Sixto, my project, they'll look stock.

Regards, Jon

Elephant skin

Could you please post a picture of the back side of that material to see what sort of backing it is bonded with. Thanks.

facts

hello, thank you all for your interest, i am overwhelmed,

i am very happy to be able to supply this, but i feel sorry to be able to offer just a very limited ammount of it only

but lets start with facts so that everyone can make up their minds and noone is unsatisfied

i went today and bought 4 meters, size is 1,42 m width, weight 5 kilo, paying 48 euro/meter, this will be the final Price plus shipping costs

here you are the photo of the first roll, front and back

and here you can see thickness: around 2mm

just in case, i do not pretend it to be NOS material from BMW, but i covered my trunk with a similar one and it worked prefectly, easy to handle, ok to use contact adhesive, and nice to adapt to shapes, see my trunk here:

221220074139.jpg

221220074156.jpg

221220074160.jpg

221220074155.jpg

here is the actual list:

SIMUFLY: 4
SKYCOACH: 4
BERT POLIAKOFF: 1
NICAD: ??
FLOBLOC: 5
ONEILS: 5
--------------------depending on Nicad, this might be the last one
STPHERS: 5
STEVEHOSE: 2
NEWYORKBEEMER: 5
Tom2240: 4
DAVID: 5
...the rest of the list, i am afraid that it can not reach, but i have requested him to find more if posible, it can not be ordered it is NLA, but a rest of production,...

Price is 48 eur/meter
shipping costs are 52,60 eur to the US, slightly less to the UK (around 41,40 eur)

those ones in the list interested please confirm asap by PM giving me your email address, hope that this helps

Last edited:
It looks like the same stuff that BMW is selling, it no longer has the cloth backing, it looks like any other vinyl on the backside. BMW part number 51 95 1 811 281 is available for $38.85 per meter from Tomkinson. I think Sven sent me a sample and I ordered it from BMW for my NK sedan a year ago. I can not tell the difference in grain from the cloth backed vinyl I bought from Veteran Co in LA eight years ago before it totally disappeared. I agree with Ives on this one.

Is the EURO 52,60 shipping cost the same, regardless of the # of meters? That is, 52,60 for 1 meter. 52,60 for 3 meters. 52,60 for 5 meters...

the shipping cost has been calculated for 4m
and yes it is the same for 1m and 5m
there is a combination of size and weight that makes this final figure
i have considered to place it in a cylindric parcel 0,7m long and diameter between 0,10 till 0,20 m
so yes, it is the same shipping cost
thank you

It looks like the same stuff that BMW is selling, it no longer has the cloth backing, it looks like any other vinyl on the backside. BMW part number 51 95 1 811 281 is available for $38.85 per meter from Tomkinson. I think Sven sent me a sample and I ordered it from BMW for my NK sedan a year ago. I can not tell the difference in grain from the cloth backed vinyl I bought from Veteran Co in LA eight years ago before it totally disappeared. I agree with Ives on this one.

well chris, thank you for your comment, i do not know what BMW is selling

at least i am showing what you can obtain while what bmw is offering is still uncertain, as there is no proof of it

no worries, if anyone wants it i will be happy to assist

Last edited:
Is there a price per meter posted yet? And DQ, how would you prefer to be paid?
Chris

well, chris, provided you are in durham in the US, that is 52,60 euro for any ammount of material between 1 to 5 meters (size matters)
it might be a little bit more expensive if you ask for more meters as weight starts to take the role, but that i must check

my recommendation is that 4 meters (always considering a width of 1,42 meters) is enough for all the trunk covers

you can paypal me

for details about my paypal account and your address i recommend you send me a PM

thank you

I am seeing requests for four and five meters. I requested four thinking it will do a trunk. Am I correct, do I need more? Five meters? Does anyone know how much? If it takes five I would like to change my order to five but understand it if it stays an four.

Thanks, Steve ONeill

hi steve
i count you on 5 meters if you need it

first payed first served

dear all,
i must confess that i can not follow up this long list, i do apologize
i wish i could satisfy all the requests, but it is not possible

there are two orders confirmed ready to pay
as i can not take the effort of a follow up with everyone in the old list

so please, from now on the first that confirms the first that gets it

only three sets left

hope that you will understand this
regards

only one left, plus more facts

good day to all, please be informed that there is only one "5 meters" set left

as to the BMW part number 51 95 1 811 281, that our senior member hbc kindly and proudly provided us with, the only facts that i have been able to gather are:

- available here at 52,70 euro per part
- no information about size, they do not know if it is 1m, they do not know the width of the piece neither
- only info available is weight: 837 gr

i weighed my 4 meters for shipping quotation purposes and they weight 5 kilo, so i may asume that you are obtaining around 400 grams less per meter of this material when you bought it from BMW

is this a fair comparison ? do you think it is the same material ?

do not know .....:roll:

Last edited:
Back