FPS Alpina-Like Wheel Center Color/Patina

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Redoing my Alpina-like FPS wheels. I am using Wurth silver for wheels but can someone confirm the center is gloss black as in this image I found (too faded on my wheels to tell)?

1631812807961.png

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone have color identifiers for original 5 hole Alpina's? @Keshav?
I have two sets, and want to get them correctly refreshed. All 9 are currently being checked and straightened. After that: paint!

I see the same Alpin's in the pictures in the begin of the thread, but i do not trust the color shift from the camera that made the pics +my screen displaying those digital bytes.

One set are 5 hole alpina's from the 2nd series with the black center.
What silver and black paint codes are known for these?

The other set are original 5 hole alpina's of the 3rd series (for bat mobile).
What paint codes are known for its silver and the grey center?

Any other info I should consider when doing a refurb? Paint instead of powder coat I believe?

Any insight appreciated, just hoping to get all details right.
(As an engineer working closely with designers, I sometimes think they are a pain in the *ss, but boy sometimes just that shade of color difference that they insist on at 5 minutes to 12 in a project just makes the whole just stand out....)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@eriknetherlands , moved your post here. Mine are flat black and it looks dead wrong. Satin is the way to go IMO. Apparently they came in an anthracite color also, as discussed by Gerhard on e9-forum.de. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Mine in flat black. I had them refinished. Wasn’t expecting that but easy enough to fix myself. Doesn’t help that the hub text is worn to a nub.

A5B73795-ED09-4563-A8F5-8B2642A5ABB3.jpeg

I’ve done a set of Weds and Alpinas in satin black and it looked great IMO.
B0CEF646-DE4F-4B21-9454-5932D25F4701.jpeg

0F352ED9-A291-485D-8D90-215AA9B8F8EC.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As promised, a follow-up on the quote from Gerhard. He knows a lot about e9’s, CSL’s, and e9 parts. I’ve purchased many parts from him.

Gerhard said:
Hello Thorsten

I still have such a brand new, never been mounted. There was a 344 (without BMW characters) and like yours a 345 (with BMW characters). The 344 was black inside, the 345 on the inside was anthracite. In this size and in both versions, they were installed on the CSL, among other things. But you could also buy them for the normal E9.

greetings, Gerhard

72C6BD8E-AFB6-48EB-8F3A-1DA9864BEA25.jpeg
5C183B90-A39F-494D-97FD-C5FDAA122F10.jpeg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos;
Thanks for the hint. I've read the article and it gives a clear advise:

Translated for further use by non German speakers:

-Silver of the rim is matched well to Mercedes Brilliantsilber number 744,
- wheels numbered 1110344 use satin black for the centers. The edge is painted to about 2-3 mm passed the corner. The line never was a clear cut perfect circle
- wheels numbered ...345 use "Antrahracit" grey. No color reference. Some ...345 wheels have an extra edge defining the edge of the grey colour.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My sense was satin black as well Chris. I figured that they would match the rocker covers etc and there is nothing on our cars that is gloss or semi-gloss.
I have a set of turbines and the center is anthracite and I gotta say, quite nice.

I do believe that the center on the FPS wheels stays in the center, sharply cut, no overlap as in the image Markos presented.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI - Auto parts stores are the best place to find satin black rattle cans.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SEM makes the best rattle can satin black, Advance Auto either has it or can order it for you, or Amazon. It's SEM 39143

Christoph

Reaction score
Satin black is correct for the 6x14 FPS in the picture of post #1. The later style 6x14 for E12/E23/E24 may be different. The 7x14 FPS or Ronal (exist as BMW or Alpina) may be satin black (early cast, 73 and following) or anthracite grey (later cast, about 78 and following). There are several versions, differing only in details. Probably a rabbit hole, as @HB Chris calls it.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Max 2k also makes a (hot rod) satin black that I used on my E9. Went with it because it is epoxy-based. That is what I will use here.

Attachments

• 1631925750530.png
    1631925750530.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 82

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Duplicolor has a decent satin black also. I’m not the biggest fan of duplicolor paint but I quite like the nozzle on their spray cans. In addition to having a light-touch “trigger”, you can adjust the spray pattern to fan out vertical or horizontally.

C7FDAD13-AD06-4592-A30B-EBEBA009189A.jpeg