Fresh body, new paint...

pamp

Reaction score
She's Dynamite

WOW....that is a pure shell for sure....wait a minute....is that a salt crystal I see on the tarmac? Quick man! The stuff is like "The Thing" or the "Borg" and will assimilate!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a great restoration Stan. From all I have heard the place it was done is Top Notch. I'd imagine that trim will go on with utmost care.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
VSR's work

Looks like a great restoration Stan. From all I have heard the place it was done is Top Notch. I'd imagine that trim will go on with utmost care.

I've had the privilege of seeing Stan's car in progress and it was a poster child for the differences between hack work masquerading as a restoration and the real deal. You can't see it under that nice paint, but Mario's shop does work that's head and shoulders better than any other BMW restoration shop who's work I've examined up close.

And the best part is Mario doesn't have a puffed up ego even though it would be justified.

Stan, leave that trim off for as long as you can stand it. Let that paint to sit and firm up for at least 2-3 months before installing the belt line trim.

TodB

Reaction score
paint work

I saw Stan's car a couple of weeks ago also when I was up at Mario's shop. The pics don't do the color and quality justice. It looks terrific. And Stan's red interior will be a nice contrast to the Chamonix. I know this has been a long time coming, Stan, so I am very excited for you!!

...it was a poster child for the differences between hack work masquerading as a restoration and the real deal.

Yep, Paint hides everything. For awhile...8)

I've seen a couple of coupes now that have come from one so called restoration shop end up at Mario's. On the surface, they look great but once the shiny paint has been stripped, which has usually been applied directly on top of the previous coat (one coupe had three coats!), the quality of the body work and preparation that is exposed is atrocious. Talk about taking short cuts...

Beauty really is only skin deep.

The quality of a paint job is always a derivative of the prep.This is why it is so critical to see/take pictures and/or be involved during the very important pre-paint process. Nothing can be hidden and you know what is being painted over.

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the exterior of my coupe has never been restored.
All old bodywork was probably done a long time ago when it was justan old car and nothing classic.
The upholstery, carpets and rear parcel shelf was done at Coupe King as was the 5 speed conversion. The 3.5L upgrade and the short shift were done by Vintage Sports

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
My two cents for the VSR-lovefest

Looking at Stan's photos makes me realize how important it is to have a trustworthy and competent shop in the area. I generally take an almost lurker approach to online forums, but in this case I feel that I need to voice an opinion for someone that really deserves it. Sorry if this is a hijack.

Sometime about five years ago when I was searching for a coupe, I called up Mario at VSR to see if he knew of any for sale. He didn't, but a few weeks after the phone call I ended up at his shop. He probably spent a couple of hours showing me the finer points of rust and where to look for it. He had nothing to sell me but spent a bunch of time going over one of the cars in the shop with me. After a few stumbles (I will not mention names), I came across a coupe near the NH Seacoast. Yes, NH does have a beach. Importantly, the coupe was close enough to have Mario inspect it for me and on his recommendation, I bought it. Since then, VSR has done both minor and major work on the coupe and my daily driver, and in all cases I couldn't be happier. No BS, just quality work. My car would not be what it is today -a reliable and fun tourenwagen- without Mario's work.

Stan, its great that you're getting the coupe fixed-up right! I look forward to checking it out in person someday.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Chris,
That seemed wrong to me, too. I wrote them back after I received that email and the reply was something about their internal coding for a US-bound car. Since the rest of the information (VIN, paint and approx. build date) seemed to match what I was staring at, I didn't give it another thought. But, at the same time, I haven't followed up by looking at the replies that others have received from Andreas to see if theirs are referred to by a "US coupe number".

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
166xxxx is US build 1968 2002. I have 1664169, a November 1968 build date 2002. Sometimes they get their wires crossed, you can edit your registry entry.

Chris

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Sand or soda?

Why does the drivers side fender always take the abuse, my cars drivers side was cut in half also though not near as nice of a job as that? Is this a soda blast job I see the glass is still in the car?