....From Hungary with love; new wood veneer set from "Bela"

doubledutch

Reaction score
Christmas in May! Today i received my long awaited wood veneer set from "Bela", based on the many good reviews by other members i decided to take the plunge. I think its hand down the best $ i have spent so far on my 2800cs (which i bought exactly 1 yr ago this week)
Besides the fact that Bela is a pleasure dealing with (great email communication) his workmanship is truly outstanding! I honestly think that the veneer looks better now then it would have, leaving the plant 42 years ago.
I must admit i am a bit intimidated by the removal & installation project but i am sure with all the info on this site and a very experienced E9 owner (m-thompson) just 2 miles away from me i will get it done in due time.
Besided the wood veneer replacement i am also planning on replacing the crappy cd player with a period correct radio (picked up a nice period correct Blaupunkt bavaria on ebay), fix the clock, replace the lights behind the instrument panel, repaint the steering collumn, fix a few small cracks on the dash and whatever else may come up along the way....
Tips/advice always welcome.

Cheers
Pieter

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 468
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 400

doubledutch

Reaction score
wood veneer

Just lovely. Dare I ask how much? Mine are "coming due"...

I paid $1075 incl shipping, a "steal" if you ask me....I cant imagine what a fine wood work shop would charge state side
Bela will give you a credit if you send him your old cores (which i have not done yet)

ps i dont wont to speak on behalf of Bela regarding prices going fwd, i guess supply & demand could change his price as well as exchange rates etc.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Having done a ton of these lately- I have to say the
two critical points have been removing the two cutting
Points on the ends of the chin and lining up the two big
pieces on the tray so that the long metal studs go through
The metal slots.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
You asked for tips...

Pieter, if you get the chance to regulate the clock while it's still on the bench and out of the binnacle, I'd say take the opportunity to do so. My clock runs about 15 minutes slow per day. To pull it out now would be an epic battle with the dashboard.

jalo111

Reaction score
i sent my my clock and speedometer to Lauderdale Speedometer and had converted over to quartz movement.

Tony

Reaction score
Hi there what a lovely set you have there,is that a hi gloss finish,r?

doubledutch

Reaction score
bulbs

Stan, already replaced the bulbs, also bought a replacement clock (mine was broken), unfortunately realized after I received it that the inner circle is brown instead of black, I will try to find a solution to that

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you must have received a clock from a 2800cs, the gauges on a 2800cs are a slightly different color (numbers) than the 3.0cs. you could have the 2 clocks taken apart and have the dials changed.

Stefan

Reaction score
you must have received a clock from a 2800cs, the gauges on a 2800cs are a slightly different color (numbers) than the 3.0cs. you could have the 2 clocks taken apart and have the dials changed.

Would be great too see pics who they differ.
Inner circle is brown? Please post a pic on the 2800 clock. Would be a nice complement to all the other knowledge you need/must know :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
on the right is a 2800cs clock and on the left is a 3.0cs clock. the numbers are white on the 3.0cs instruments and off-white on 2800cs instruments

Attachments

• e9 clocks.jpg
    e9 clocks.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 236

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Except for the time they are the same, or is it because I went on a wine tasting tour in Saratoga?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Except for the time they are the same, or is it because I went on a wine tasting tour in Saratoga?
nope - they aren't ... there are 2 differences
1 is a mechanical clock, the other is a quartz clock

if you look at the clock on the right, the minute hand is white ... the numbers are off-white. i have looked at a few other 2800cs and they also have the off-white numbers on all the gauges.