Front E9

nico13

Reaction score
Does someone knows what is the original E9 front gril of a CS?
I have seen black painted with 5 and 6 mazes and un painted.

Regards,
Nico

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.18.48.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.18.48.png
    473.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.20.38.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.20.38.png
    812.3 KB · Views: 150

Tim Schoon

Reaction score
We have to unpainted 5 mazes but both painted and unpainted was original I believe. Its really up to you what you want. The black painted will make it a little less luxury but more sportive in my opinion.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have seen black painted with 5 and 6 mazes and un painted.

Regards,
Nico

Hi Nico.
The first pic, with the 4 black plastic slats/ mazes are strictly for the face lift cars, ie 1974 onwards.
The second pic with the 5 black or silver slats/ mazes is for all the other cars (to include face lift cars also).
The black slats are not painted, they are anodized and are primarily for the Csl’s but found across the board on all the models, through out the years.
You could do a search for kidney grills and find plenty of discussions regarding the kidney grills
Cheers
Keshav

nico13

Reaction score
Dear Keshav,
Many thanks for the explanation so if my car is from 1973/10 then the kidney should be 5 black or silver slats.
Further could you help with the windshield wippers, there are round en rectangular shaped I notice which has been be used and when?

Regards,
Nico

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Nico,
What kind of door cards do you have? With the fishgarten design or the later type with ‘small holes’?
That would specify which kidney would be correct. The door cards with the smallholes (top part) would mean your car is the face lift in which case you could use either of the kidneys. If you have the fishgarten design, then it should be the 5 Slat kidney, with black or silver slats, both would be correct.
Regarding your wipers, please add a pic so we know exactly what you are referring too. I’m not sure what you mean by square and rectangle.... being that your car is a late 73, it could be a mix of both, old & face lift features.
Regards
Keshav
Pic of the old style door card
4CE9FDD2-4227-48CC-B6F8-10D063ECD2E5.jpeg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Kidney wise, you’d want a 5 slat kidney. All silver are far easier to find. With balck anodized slats are very hard to find, specially in good shape.
Pic of a 5 slat black anodized kidney
07F6B130-7920-408D-842F-DEA746805A48.jpeg

Wladek

Reaction score
I think front grill colour (silver or black) depend on hood & fender grills colours (silver or black) in particular car; different combinations where used depending on car painting.
If we talk about wipers - all pre 74' should have stainless satin or gloss, black where used from 74', driver side wiper arm was always with wing/spoiler & passenger side was always flat.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And kidney finish has nothing to do with hood and fender grills. All US coupes got the polished finish five slat until sometime in 74 when the four slat black grill appeared.

nico13

Reaction score
Hi Nico,
What kind of door cards do you have? With the fishgarten design or the later type with ‘small holes’?
That would specify which kidney would be correct. The door cards with the smallholes (top part) would mean your car is the face lift in which case you could use either of the kidneys. If you have the fishgarten design, then it should be the 5 Slat kidney, with black or silver slats, both would be correct.
Regarding your wipers, please add a pic so we know exactly what you are referring too. I’m not sure what you mean by square and rectangle.... being that your car is a late 73, it could be a mix of both, old & face lift features.
Regards
Keshav
Pic of the old style door card
View attachment 54169
Hi Keshav,
The door cards are as on photo
The wipers are not correct as the pivot point cap should be rectangular of shape rather then round as with an 02. Further the same should the wipers be stainless steel or black

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 16.33.01.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 16.33.01.png
    823.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 16.36.13.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 16.36.13.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 123

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Keshav,
The wipers are not correct as the pivot point cap should be rectangular of shape rather then round as with an 02. Further the same should the wipers be stainless steel or black

You grille and wipers would have both been silver from the factory. There are two types of silver wipers, so dig into that next. :)

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Keshav,

Hi Nico,
Certainly clarifies which kidney grill you need, 5 slat type, whether with silver or black slats is secondary like in the pics above.
Nice wiper arms are just as hard to come by. If you are on the look out for them, let the forum know so. The correct wipers them selves you can get from Christoph from cs-Werke in Germany.
Cheers
Keshav

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Certainly clarifies which kidney grill you need, 5 slat type, whether with silver or black slats is secondary like in the pics above.

We have some new folks, so clarity should prevail. He can go with whichever grille he likes best, but the only grille original to his CS is a five slat silver one, which ended in MY 1974. All non-CSL grilles from MY 1968 to My 1973 were five slat silver.

On paper, the MY 1974 non-CSL’s got a four bar grille. In practice it appears that they also received five bar “csl style” black grille (see thread I linked). This is only a theory based mostly on historical factory images and a handful of original cars. BMW parts documentation suggests otherwise. Since the grille is *the most vulnerable part of an e9, it is understood and assumed that they are swapped out as the car ages.

nico13

Reaction score
Dear All many thanks for the support and clarifying my questions. By understanding the originality from these cars I will understand more the history of the car.
My car is now 45 years old and many thinks has been replaced (correct and not correct).
I am making a list of it (i hope it will be a short list;)). I am not intending to change it but it will help me when I visit oldtimer markets or meetings.
Without the help of you all it will be difficult for me to know what is wrong and what is good. Many thanks for that.
Nico

nico13

Reaction score
Thanks Yannick,
MY car VIN 2232782 this means Chrome wiper arms, chrome wipers, 5 slat kidney and "rafters" pattern door cards ( Pre-1973 cars ).
According BMW: The BMW 3.0 CS Automatic VIN 2232782 was manufactured on October 18th, 1973 (so it's a 1974 model year) and delivered on October 24th, 1973 to the Netherlands. The original colour was Granatrot metallic, paint code 025.
Regards,
Nico