Front E9

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The VIN of the car starts with 2 = Chrome wiper arms, chrome wipers, 5 slat kidney and "rafters" pattern door cards ( Pre-1973 cars )

Hi Yannick,
Were the 5 slat kidneys for the pre 74 cars ALWAYS silver or with black slats too? I’ve seen plenty of those cars with the 5 black slat kidneys like the Csl’s have?
Thanks
Keshav

nico13

Reaction score
Hi Yannick, thank you for the information, but after your last post I get curious in the more deeper details, how can I find them it will help to compleet my list.
Posting each item to the form is not efficient. I started with the small and big slot of the nose!
Regards,
Nico

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi Yannick,
Were the 5 slat kidneys for the pre 74 cars ALWAYS silver or with black slats too?
Keshav
According to the "theory" that all pre 74 CS/CSI where with silver slats. I should have two CSL's in my garage;)
... but unfortunately i don't:(

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
According to the "theory" that all pre 74 CS/CSI where with silver slats. I should have two CSL's in my garage;)
... but unfortunately i don't:(

I like the five bar black CSL grille the best, but the polished aluminum grille does set the e9 grille apart from younger siblings.

I love threads like this! Feel free to get into the weeds @Yannick!

Wladek

Reaction score
Great reply Yannick, actually nothing to add... or, maybe - Amen.
But, personally i still think that Silver or Black slats on pre 74' was just an option, like fender or hood grills colours.

p.s. In my e9 parts collection - grille with silver slats is in much better condition, than two other with black slats.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hood and fender grilles and kidney grilles could not be chosen by the customer.

I have a theory on the hood and side grilles. Sometime in early 1973 at US VINs 2240644 and 2250593, ( and 2213486, 2231998, 2264615, CS-L) the Orange Parts book says for the first time that matt chrome grilles go on only dark colors (schwarz, atlantik, nachtblau, etc) and black grilles are only for light colors. Before this date did all coupes get the chrome hood and side grilles? I guess it’s possible.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hood and fender grilles and kidney grilles could not be chosen by the customer.

I have a theory on the hood and side grilles. Sometime in early 1973 at US VINs 2240644 and 2250593, ( and 2213486, 2231998, 2264615, CS-L) the Orange Parts book says for the first time that matt chrome grilles go on only dark colors (schwarz, atlantik, nachtblau, etc) and black grilles are only for light colors. Before this date did all coupes get the chrome hood and side grilles? I guess it’s possible.

I think your theory is spot on!