Front Inner Fender Assembly Question

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry for starting a new thread when there are likely plenty that answer this, but my searching has failed to locate it. I have searched other sites as well- maybe I just suck at searching:)

My question is: when your inner fender looks like this, and you have a box of brand new steel pieces to rebuild it, we have no reference as to how all those sections go together. My car has homemade pieces that are simply not supposed to be part of the car, and plenty of original items simply not there.

Does anyone have a few photos deep in their build thread that show some of the proper pieces tying together. We can hold up our pieces and assemble this thing in about 5 ways- all that SEEM to work, but of course only one way is proper.

I need to know which piece would replace my plywood section, which piece replaces my rebar, and which piece replaces the caulking, and for the life of me I can't find which piece replaces the fiberglass LOL.

It is really just the thinner sections across the top that we have question about.

Thanks guys!

Paul

Coupe Fender.jpg

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are a few photos that might help. There is a gusset plate that sits underneath the inner fender outside lip and a rectangular piece that holds /supports the lower section of this gusset to the A pillar in your photo. I assume you are keeping the inner fender and using the W&N long patch piece here? You would weld this patch piece to the inner fender, then install the gusset pieces , then the outer fender and lastly the two curved angle pieces that connect the inner to outer fenders.

IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4512.jpg
    IMG_4512.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 296

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Sven, that is a HUGE help. I will take this to the shop and let you know if that solves our remaining questions!

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry for starting a new thread when there are likely plenty that answer this, but my searching has failed to locate it. I have searched other sites as well- maybe I just suck at searching:)

My question is: when your inner fender looks like this, and you have a box of brand new steel pieces to rebuild it, we have no reference as to how all those sections go together. My car has homemade pieces that are simply not supposed to be part of the car, and plenty of original items simply not there.

Does anyone have a few photos deep in their build thread that show some of the proper pieces tying together. We can hold up our pieces and assemble this thing in about 5 ways- all that SEEM to work, but of course only one way is proper.

I need to know which piece would replace my plywood section, which piece replaces my rebar, and which piece replaces the caulking, and for the life of me I can't find which piece replaces the fiberglass LOL.

It is really just the thinner sections across the top that we have question about.

Thanks guys!

Paul

View attachment 61998

Hi Paul

The BMW diagrams are misleading as the parts are not drawn to scale.

Front assembly diagram.jpg

Front assembly diagram 2.jpg

DSCN7015.JPG

DSCN7021.JPG

I hope this helps!!!

Cheers, Paul.

Marco54

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Paul - to clarify my earlier response with the above diagrams from Marco54.

41/3 - Part #4 is what I call the gusset. Part #5 is the long patch piece added to the inner fender.
41/4 - Parts 3 & 7 are the curved angle pieces.

JamesE30

Reaction score
Hi guys, my e9 is currently undergoing a full body restoration. I just received a message from the metal workshop asking if I can get replacement sheet metal for these parts:
The inner strut tower support.

Are they available
Somewhere? Does anyone know a source for these?

If not what have people done in the past? Does anyone have any detailed pictures that would help with the repair?

Greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks!

8172868B-38DE-41FF-A6DB-1B3A308A7A38.jpeg

70FBBAA2-9693-4E8F-A43E-A904F5D0060C.jpeg

JamesE30

Reaction score

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my front end - same as you are doing most of the sheet metal parts were purchased thru Maximilian Importers. That was some years ago but they were original OEM BMW spares. Maybe a good second choice worth taking a look at their online store.

JamesE30

Reaction score
When I rebuilt my front end - same as you are doing most of the sheet metal parts were purchased thru Maximilian Importers. That was some years ago but they were original OEM BMW spares. Maybe a good second choice worth taking a look at their online store.

Thanks, but I couldn’t see it on their website either.

Hi again James

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

I am not sure that the part you are looking for is available. You might have to repair/ re-fabricate.
This photo was taken from the Facebook details of the orange CSL repaired by Miklos Meszaros -

View attachment 71157

See -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...66785501.74218.100002570424157&type=3&theater

Cheers, James

Bingo. That’s exactly the part I’m talking about. Damn, if only I could find a replacement piece. Looks like we might have to fabricate it.
At least it’s not the most rusted piece of metal on the car.

Thanks for the fb link, wow he has some amazing reference pictures! Great inspiration.