Front Seat Removal

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've run into a glitch trying to remove the front passenger seat for a Leatherique treatment. Three of the four bolts came out without a problem, but it appears that the right rear bolt is spinning with the nut. Is there any way to get a wrench on the nut from the side or underneath? It seems like the carpet would have to be pulled back, or worse, slit. Thanks!

Malc

Reaction score
Are you talking about the rear inside one by the transmission tunnel?
If so it is supposed to be a welded in nut .
However if you move the seat as far forward as it will go you should be able to get a set of mole grips in to hold it.

There wasn't much carpet left in the bucket so not sure about slicing the carpet or vinyl trim....you might be able to peel back the edges and get in there.
Good luck
Malc

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Malc, no its the rear one near the door. The carpet and vinyl trim pretty much cover everything. I wonder if some pentrating oil may help?

By the way, in my car anyway, the rear square nut near the transmission tunnel is not welded; its just loosely sandwiched in place...

Malc

Reaction score
Ahh the wonders of continuity in making E9's in BMW's shed!
If it's the captive nut type, the bolts that have come out have a coarse thread, correct?
If so then I suspect that the clip type retainer has broken and is just spinning.
If that's the case then your stiil goingg to have to peel back some of the trim / lift the carpe to get at it
Sorry I can't provide much help
Malc

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Continuity? Only to a point. The bolts have DERA 88 on the top, a slot at the tip, and seem to be machine scews; not very coarse.

I was able to reach the nut by carefully peeling back the carpet. I applied some penetrating oil and will attempt to loosen the bolt when my neighbor, and his extra pair of hands, gets home this evening.

Thanks.