Front transmissin seal

gwittman

Reaction score
I am looking for a transmission front seal for my manual ZF transmission (70 2800 CS). It is listed a NLA. It seems that seals are still available for the Getrag transmission but I really don't want to replace the entire transmission as a fix for a leaky seal. Does anyone have advice on locating this seal?

I could take the transmission out and remove the seal to get all the dimensions to see if there is another seal that might work. That could end up leaving my Coupe in operative for considerable time, which I would not like. That may be my only choice if no one has any better advice.

Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You might try contacting the guys at DriveGear. I haven't used them for tranny work, but I recall discussing their transmission rebuild service with them several years ago when I rented a car to give spec e30 a try. Not sure what happened to their web site, but they are on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/drivegear.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Except that is for a Getrag. Gary, the ZF paper gasket for the input shaft cover is NLA too, but you can use sealant or make a new one.

gwittman

Reaction score
If Mesa Performance can't come up with a seal, I will pull the transmission and carefully remove the old seal to get dimensions. He ordered it even though it is NLA. He said sometimes NLA orders show up even if it is 6 months later. I had already decided I would be using RTV in place of the gasket. I have gotten really good at using RTV gasket sealant in place of gaskets. I use it a lot on my Austin Healey Sprite race car in a lot of places including the transmission.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. It will be uncomfortable pulling the transmission not knowing if I ill be able to get the part I need. I think the chance is good though.

gwittman

Reaction score
I will verify the dimensions when take the transmission out this weekend and check out those sources. Thanks for all the help. I will report my findings.

I use both O'Reillys and Rock Auto frequently.

Gary

gwittman

Reaction score
I got the transmission out today and found the front seal wasn't leaking at all. The leak was though one of the studs on the front housing (slave guide flange). I don't know why it suddenly started leaking there. I will seal all those studs really well when I put it back together.

What I did find that surprised me was the Guibo coupling was totally broken in on area an almost cracked through in another area. It is amazing that it can be in that condition and not show any signs of failing. Jeez, I replace that thing only 20 years ago. You would think it should last longer. :)

The transmission mount was cheap through Rock Auto, so it is getting replaced too. I also decide while the driveshaft is out, the differential pinion seal should be replaced. It was not a bad leak but I could see evidence of it slinging a little oil on the exhaust. All the parts are ordered and once they come in I can get my Coupe back on the road.