Front wheel well bodywork missing

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hoping someone has a good eye and can help me figure out this wheel well.
I've got everything out for new shocks, springs, wheel bearings ECT so now is a good time to finally clean up what I can.

Previous owner did a mediocre job welding in new panels and I've always thought this looked incomplete, like there is a couple missing panels.
I've attempted to figure it out using bmw diagrams but they're not giving me the confidence to buy parts...

Left fender looking forward:
PXL_20231210_235906739.jpg

Looking towards firewall:
PXL_20231210_235848874.jpg

Looking up:
PXL_20231210_235955806.jpg

Thinking maybe this "mud panel" behind wheel?
Screenshot_20231210-191630.png

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those panels trap moisture and mud behind them. Lose them…

Last edited:
Reactions: Dlc

Dlc

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Thomas
I just had a look at my 2019 restoration project and found these before-after pictures --- my trusted body expert had to use a lot of replacement panels.

1702275777638.jpeg

1702275695059.jpeg

1702275847993.jpeg

1702275544588.jpeg

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Thomas.
Yes your car is missing the panel called "mud cover" as on the W&N pages you shared.

But as Don mentioned, do not bother to reinstall them. You better opt for fender liners such as the "Lokari" brand. They can easily be removed to clean behind them once a year.

The pictures of your car show that all other panels that should be there, are present.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you E9 community for reassurance. I need to remind myself these cars as new had a crude skeletons behind the beautiful skin.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Thomas. Here is what that aft mud panel would look like if you bought it (and its corresponding rubber strip) today and installed them. I opted to try them out because I am on a quest to reduce wind and road noise. They absolutely are not tall enough to keep sand from going behind them. I use plastic fender liners in addition.

IMG_7522.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Thomas. Here is what that aft mud panel would look like if you bought it (and its corresponding rubber strip) today and installed them. I opted to try them out because I am on a quest to reduce wind and road noise. They absolutely are not tall enough to keep sand from going behind them. I use plastic fender liners in addition.
IIRC there is a second piece that fits on top of this one to cover the area completely, or is this something different?

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
This one on top!
20210119_101332.jpg
...but it is installed!
Thomas (the other Thomas)

Last edited:

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC there is a second piece that fits on top of this one to cover the area completely, or is this something different?

You're right, Steve. Looking again at my own picture, I think it is present on my car but it has the same rubberized coating on it as the rest of everything so it's hard to see.

TomHom's photos are excellent and I can see that there is quite a bit of space that I did NOT clean out during my process. I will probably be forced to try to remove it on the right side of my car. There's a rust bubble forming up high on that side and I suspect it corresponds to the bottom of the V.

I'll reply again after I've investigated more.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another snap shot showing how it's welded:View attachment 173814
Thomas

But does it mean this small piece shouldn't be put back on during restoration?

I do agree it is very strange (almost unbelievable) not to make a big hole in the lowest part of that box. How come body designers missed that even over years of production. I believe they quite soon have been facing the results of such design "misaligment".

Also BMW was selling the reinforcement repair panel with that mud-shield.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
This hole is the opening to bring in cavity sealing. When finished with this work close it with a plug!

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is still not explaining the fact BMW was creating boxes with no drains.

It is clear bigger openings are for body draining while production (body paint preparation, cathode-based passivization or wax protection but why they didn't care about the water (mud) draining?

Might be I'm missing something.