FS: **$1,700** side loader differential LSD 3.45 S40

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Best bet UPS not at a mail store but direct at the terminal I shipped a side loader from PHX to FLA for $125 and that included some packing. I use a plastic container from Home Depot and line it with Styrofoam insulation boards I run some some 1x2 around the top edge and then screw the top down

Reactions: Ezz

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I shipped Getrag 265s in a plastic tote from Lowe's.

Just drilled holes on the lid to the lip of the container and zip-tied it all around.

I think from Sea to LA was like $75.00 via FedEx w/an account. Little cheaper if you have an account (Free to setup).

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You need to help yourself…

Do the bearings feel smooth with no roughness or noise when you turn by hand?
How many miles on the the donor car?
Any leaks?
Pic of gear ratio?
Can you say you tested by hand and it is without a doubt a working LSD?
Got a video?
Condition of oil?

right now with no info- in Arizona- lucky to get 1000.00

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @sfdon

Thank you for posting the questions above. Hopefully this will help inform others who might be interested in this.
Here are my answers to your questions:

Bearings?
Bearings are smooth when turned by hand.

Donor car?
71 bavaria automatic odometer reads ~64k (possibly rolled over?) car last registered in 87 i believe.

Leaks?
No leaks when I pulled it out.

Ratio: 11/38
IMG_5085.jpeg

LSD?
I cannot say for sure it is an LSD. However, I posted on the forum a while back asking this exact question and i from what I understood from the replies that it is an LSD.
IMG_5068.jpeg

Video?
I do have a video and willing to share it with whoever request it.

Condition of Oil?
I did not see metal shavings. pinion and crown condition as in the picture here:
IMG_5048.jpeg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
pic please of the side of the diff showing the output flanges.

I can pull a LSD off the shelf and do a FaceTime of how to test If you want.

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is very generous of you to offer. I will send you a PM.

Here are the output flanges.

IMG_5590.jpeg
IMG_5589.jpeg

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You need to help yourself…

Do the bearings feel smooth with no roughness or noise when you turn by hand?
How many miles on the the donor car?
Any leaks?
Pic of gear ratio?
Can you say you tested by hand and it is without a doubt a working LSD?
Got a video?
Condition of oil?

right now with no info- in Arizona- lucky to get 1000.00
Hi Don, I have a question I forgot to ask you all this time, My Blue E9 with original 2800 engine after rebuilt the engine he had bigger piston and valve, when I was driving in our 118 FW, without pushing hard with 5000 RPM I had 110 MPH the engine had more room to push but I was afraid of the car can not handle What kind of power we are talking about how many HP this engine might have, since I may rebuilt the engine on my inka orange E9 I want to tell him do the same thing since engine have a great power, I never drive a E9 with this kind of power but you know I have triple Weber on it.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello All,

I had the pleasure of speaking with Don on the phone today. He was patient and extremely helpful. He and another gentelman (I apologize I forgot his name) in the shop walked me through a series of tests to determine what I have.

Here is what we figured out (@sfdon please correct me if I am wrong):
This is an early Diff with LSD pumpkin and guts confirmed by the pictures provided above. However, the LSD is not working.
As a result of the findings, this is not for sale anymore unless you know what you are getting and make an offer. Don offered me a solution and I might accept that.
Lastly, I am glad the transaction didn't go through with the earlier offers I received on it. I was not trying to scam anyone. And only a few people offered their help and I certainly appreciate that.

Thanks,
Ezz

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Hello All,

I had the pleasure of speaking with Don on the phone today. He was patient and extremely helpful. He and another gentelman (I apologize I forgot his name) in the shop walked me through a series of tests to determine what I have.

Here is what we figured out (@sfdon please correct me if I am wrong):
This is an early Diff with LSD pumpkin and guts confirmed by the pictures provided above. However, the LSD is not working.
As a result of the findings, this is not for sale anymore unless you know what you are getting and make an offer. Don offered me a solution and I might accept that.
Lastly, I am glad the transaction didn't go through with the earlier offers I received on it. I was not trying to scam anyone. And only a few people offered their help and I certainly appreciate that.

Thanks,
Ezz
So whats the story with the clutch packs on this differential, has the unit been open yet for inspection? I'm not sure if there are new clutches available, but I imagine a good gear shop in UK or other could supply parts for these units.